Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 12:21:58 -0400
Hi Ferrety friends,

I've never posted before, but I've really appreciated reading all the
comments in my 5 years of ferret ownership. I know there are a lot of
postings about adrenal ferrets, so I'm wondering if some of you with
experience with non - surgical interventions can help me out during
this difficult stage of the illness.

Pixie (female) is about 6 years old. She was diagnosed adrenal in May
2 years ago. She began responding to monthly Lupron shots in August of
that year. We have been very fortunate that the lupron shots have kept
her mostly symptom free for almost 2 years.

She still has fur, energy, and a good appetite (thanks to Bob's chicken
gravy - Thank You Bob!!) but she has significant vulva swelling. My vet
increased the lupron dose and we went in after 3 weeks instead of 4 but
the vulva seems to be getting bigger (certainly not decreasing).

She says none of the vets on her listserve recommend melatonin but I
know someone here posted that they had some vulva decrease with it.
Please recommend!

The other options she has given me are continued increase of
dose/frequency of lupron shots OR lupron implant. They are all
expensive and all trial and error. Please share your experience (and
your vet's knowledge). If you do melatonin is it with or without
lupron? How much? How much money.

Worried parents in VT