From:
Lucie Darkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 11:31:27 -0400
Hi Rachel,

Unfortunately I have no answers for you; but am going through something
similar with Sarah. She is 8 and other than adrenal disease (treated
with melatonin and Lupron) she has no major medical issues except
incontinence and general old age. I don't have to express her bladder
as she is able to urinate on her own. She sometimes seems to be looking
for the litter box when she has to urinate and if I put her there she
will go. But she has no control over her bowels at all and will just
go, even while eating or sleeping. I find poop trails everywhere in
their room as she just keeps walking while going. I feel bad her, as
well as my other ferrets when I am not around to clean up right way. I
have found where she has even gone in their food bowl. I keep multiple
food and water sources in their room so they don't end up with just the
contaminated one. Sometimes I wonder about her quality of life and
whether going on is really in her best interest. But, she still enjoys
her food and treats, my company and that of her ferret brothers and
sisters to curl up with for napping. She doesn't appear to be in any
pain or discomfort that a person of her age (80+?) might experience. I
am open to any suggestions on managing the incontinence better, but so
far have no ideas. I wish you the best with Pukka. It is so hard to
watch them struggle with the challenges of old age and wish we could
make it easier on them.

               @-"-@
           o00 -\o/- 00o