From:
Carol J Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:46:08 -0700
I have been dealing with a type of larder beetle that I brought into my
home more than three years ago. They live on the crumbs of ferret food
and the tiny larvae can crawl under anything. I don't want to use any
insecticide that could harm the ferrets. Does anyone know of any type
that acts only on insects and is not harmful to mammals?

My control is to crawl on the floor at night with a small flashlight
and squish anything that moves. They will show up when moving a food
dish, be under the casters of the cage stands, under litter pans on the
floor, anywhere there are bits of food. Diatomaceous earth hasn't been
very effective. I'm not good at vacuuming every day, but if I keep at
it the numbers are down but they are still there. Is there any hope to
get rid of these?

Carol J Owens,
Ferret Friends,Inc.
Tucson AZ