From:
Carol J Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 01:01:22 -0700
I have limited experience with one. I recently got it in with some
ferrets. But I've had to press it in to use with the burgeoning
population here. It is the two section one but I have Quality Cages
of three units and on 18" legs so they are really up there and I use
a two-step kitchen stool to care for the top layer.

I was hesitant about the Ferret Nation as I didn't have time to send
for or make any covers so I found an old cage to take apart, using a
floor panel of heavy-guage welded wire. I cut it to a little more than
the actual width of the shelf, trimmed out the two corners so it would
fit snug to the side panels and secured it with zip ties. Then used a
blankie to cover that. This was just for the half shelf. The large
whole shelf I turned so the opening was closed to the lower section,
then just covered it with one of the large cloth hospital underpads. It
it large enough to cover the gaps at the ends. Bear in mind the ferret
in there is a sedate old guy so all is fine for him. I don't know how
that would do for some active diggers.

An easy way to suspend hammocks and cubes is to get a couple packs of
cheap zinc-plated shower pins and just chain them together for a tall
height or just use one or two as needed. The best home-made bedding
comes without nickel-plated clips but has loops of fabric or ribbon
instead and you just use shower pins. No clips to clunk in the laundry.
They are also useful to hang an open hammock up in a carrier for those
trips to the vet.

The other indispensable item for cage outfitting is about three or
four dozen 2" mini spring clamps.. You can cut cheap blanket strips and
clamp them onto the ramps. Cut the strips a couple inches wider than
the ramp, wrap it around and secure with 4 or 6 clamps. You can get
them at Home Depot. Lowe's doesn't have them. They are also very useful
to hold black cloth in place on the cage to keep out light for the
ferrets security and to give them their needed 14 hours of darkness.

The cheap blanket I use for level covers on some cages and on the ramps
in all cages is the non-fluffy polyester blanket sold by Wal-Mart. It
often has a print of cartoons, a pattern or flowers. It works well
until it is too shredded. I've never had a ferret that actually chewed
it. Once again the little clamps hold everything in place. Whenever I'm
in Home Depot I pick up more.

I hope this helps a little.

Carol J. Owens
Ferret Friends, Inc.