From:
Nancy Herring <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 00:23:52 -0500
Years ago when my son was in 5th grade, his class did experiments with
diatomaceous earth. Apparently my son inhaled some and had breathing
problems for several days after. Sometime after that occurrence, I read
an article about diatomaceous earth that I shared with his school
because it should be handled with more caution than they apparently
used.

Diatomaceous earth is made from diatom shells. Diatoms are tiny, little
sea creatures. They die and their shells drop to the bottom where they
are harvested by man and crushed. The shells are hard as glass and
apparently can be as sharp as broken glass. Gardeners use diatomaceous
earth in gardens because it will cut the tender bodies of slugs. When
you use it you should handle it with care and be sure not to inhale
it. If you don't have any outdoor pets and want to put it along your
outside foundation to eliminate ants, just be careful not to inhale
any. But please do not use it in the house or where animals or people
can come in contact with it or inhale it.

Nancy