Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:39:47 -0600
I look around at my group and I see fat happy playful fuzzies, even the
oldsters. I do have two girls, even though they eat well, I'd like to
see put on an ounce or two. These kids eat a gallon of recipe a day
along with as much kibble as they desire so they have good reason to be
a bit on the porky side. That's not to say that they don't have medical
issues like second time adrenal 7 yr old bald little Lola, or Silver
with his huge spleen that makes his abdomen distorted, or Kit Kat with
cardio that makes her listless and retain fluid in her abdomen, or the
insulinoma fuzzies. At least twice a day I make sure they get their
recipe which with some means holding them as they lap from the saucer
or syringe feed. Their medications are given each and every day at the
times they need to be. Sub-q fluids are given as needed and sometimes
when I'm not sure they are needed just to cover the bases and give them
a litter perk up. In some cases sub-q fluids have helped amazingly to
bring back ferrets that were thought to be on their last leg of lifes
journey and surprised our vet that they came back.

Please everyone, individuals/shelters/rescues/hospices, take a hard
look at your ferrets. Is there something you can do to help them feel
better and enjoy what little time they have here in our realm? Do they
need more time out? Do they need a warm liquid nutritional recipe to
help them gain weight? Does the cage need a good cleaning? Do the food
and water containers need cleaned and refilled with fresh food and
water? Does the litter box need scrubbing? Does the bedding need washed
or replaced?

There is no valid reason to let these trusting little beings go without
necessities. They ask so little of us to love and care for them is all.
If kept in cages, don't let these precious little beings be trapped
without food or water or cleanliness. The same if out of cages. Don't
let them languish hour after hour, day after day, wondering when
someone will come to feed them, water them, clean them, show them they
are loved.

If you can't provide what is needed, please, please, please ask for
help or rehome your ferrets into a home that can.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org