From:
Denise Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:29:13 -0700
The ferret community lost a very special lady and I lost a wonderful
ferret mentor and very special friend Thursday, March 27th at 3:40am,
because of a freak car accident on Hiway 18 in Auburn, WA. Her older
model Lincoln Continental (which we called a "land yacht") slipped on
ice and she proceeded to hit a State Patrolman's car...killing her
instantly.

Her name was Carol Simeon. She was a "Christmas" Carol because her
birthday was Christmas Day. This tough old bird had raced cars and was
a retired truck driver (at times would tell me how to drive) and yet
had the softest loving heart for ferrets and other animals. Carol not
only took in rescues but had done some breeding of ferrets. She called
her ferrets "gifers" (gigantic ferrets). They were 6-8 lbs of fun,
sweetness and the boys were very sensitive, huggable guys--the gals
were pesky stinkers at times..lolol. She only bred every other year
because she didn't want to put these precious fuzzies at risk.

Carol was always available to answer questions I had, or give me ideas
about what to do or how do to it. She also knew when to tell me "get
'em into the vet". She shared what she had, food (which of course there
was only one food for them...Totally Ferret), etc if I was running
short. With her wisdom and help, I became a bonifide Rescue. We would
have a "nail clipping party" for her fuzzies at her house after we had
pizza and a nice time to chat. It's a good thing we lived only 6 blocks
away, because our phone bill would have paid the national debt. When
there was a weather change, we would call and compare joint pain..
lolol. Carol was also a nanny for 2 beautiful children whose parents
are radio celebrities and very precious people.
http://www.jackieandbender.com/
(You can see her pics with the children)

Carol had 14 ferrets at the time of her death. (She had as many as
45 at one time a few years ago.) She asked me about a year ago to
take care her ferrets and find homes for her other animals if
anything should happen to her. She knew they would be taken care of
and loved on. She didn't trust a lot of people and I feel honored that
she asked me.

All day Thursday, a volunteer and I had to go thru all of her ferret
items, cages, and we did find homes for her other animals. We finished
late that night and her 14 ferrets were nicely tucked in their soft
blankets doing well here at the shelter. Her family will be taking
care of her other effects.

Today, I have a headache, am sooooooooo tired and miss her very, very
much. I still want to call her and tell her things and it's only been a
day and a half since her passing. I hold her close to my heart and will
always keep her memory alive not only in the ferret community but in
other human hearts as well.

Have a 'ferret' day.
denise
www.washingtonferret.com