From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 02:11:21 -0700
I guess I'll just repost my original response to this, which was in a
Michigan yahoo group.

Yes, I am actually already paying for the surgery. The foster is making
arrangements at her work to get it done, and if it is not done for
free, I am footing the bill.

I have a few fosters that can take in fuzzies, but most are already
full up from taking on ferrets on their own that they see in ads and
such.

Yes, I am in California. I still get calls from people since my number
was out for so long.

The foster is a vet tech.....and also, the ferret has been evaluated
already as needing the surgery. It's just a matter of the owner having
decided not to do it. She does need it.

They also had their shots renewed this year (as of this month). The
ferrets don't just go to anyone. I also have fosters do home checks
and check ups when I need to (if I have not previously adopted ferrets
to the person). Many people on this group, I have spoken with over the
years or know from other groups, etc.

I always give people your number and shelter name, as well as Dee
Gage's. I explain fully what I do.

Then, I have the owner call and meet with the person interested, if
a foster is not available to do a playdate. In this way, they can
personally approve this new person. There is nothing final about it.
Then arrangements are made for the ferret to be transferred to their
new home.

I have flown back to Michigan to handle things when I could not do so
online.

Nanci - I never had a lot of ferrets at a time. Thirty was the max. In
all of the ferrets coming in and out, I only had Mr. Peepers and Angel
that were adrenal. That's two. And no, no one wanted to adopt them.

How many adrenal ferrets are there in large shelters that no one wanted
to adopt? I had about a month to two months to help find them homes. I
decided, after their surgeries, since no one wanted them, I would just
keep them. That's what I meant. It is hard to find someone who wants a
sick ferret. Even when they have had their adrenal surgery.

I don't understand your comment about the moving the ferrets. No, they
are going to the foster and they will be brought to her work for a 2nd
evaluation. I trust the vet that the current owner brought them to, but
a second opinion will not hurt.

The $500 is going to cover the visit, the surgery, and the pain meds
as well as extras if the ferret is going to have the surgery at my
foster's work. I will pay for whatever is necessary at this point.

I'm sorry about saying full. In my mind, full and closed are not the
same thing.....I won't say it again, although I don't believe I have
stated that in most of my posts at all. I might be wrong, though. I
thought I usually just post their info, and where they are, etc. All
I meant to convey is, one less that doesn't have to go to a shelter
unless necessary would be good. I don't know anyone who would rather
have their fuzzy go to a shelter with many other ferrets, than a
foster.

I won't say full again. Again, I only get calls for a few ferrets a
month, and most of the time, I have no problem finding them a home.

Also when I refer people to you, sometimes they call me back after a
week, stating you haven't call them back. This has happened several
times. I explain to them that they need to keep calling, because you
are busy. Then I get emails of "I never got a response back". So I
refer them to Dee at the same time. Also when people want to adopt
ferrets and I know of none that need homes, I always give your info and
Dee's. I don't know what the deal is, but I definitely just let them
know it takes some time to contact you.If there is a different number
than the one on MotorCityFerrets that I need to be giving out, please
let me know.

I am not trying to steal ferrets away from you, or Dee, or anyone.
Everyone involved has your info and hers. And often I explain to them
that it's getting hard for me to find homes, and when I can't, I simply
say I can't find a home and they need to make arrangements. If the
ferrets need immediate medical care, obviously I can't find it a home.
Obviously I tell them they need to call you or Dee immediately, and if
they say "it's too far" I get a foster involved.

You don't understand how many ferret owners in the Lansing area decide
that driving to you or Dee is too hard. And they leave messages saying
they're going to dump a ferret outside and other wonderful things. So
yeah, I still try to help. If you are willing to do pickups all the
way in Lansing, let me know, that would be wonderful.

Otherwise, yes, I am still getting calls, I am still involved with
Michigan. But it is so little now with so few homes on my list that
want ferrets, that it is dwindled down to basically a referral of you
and Dee. I really do refer people to you and Dee. And often I never
hear from them again, or I sometimes get a follow-up call that they
brought the ferret to one of the shelters.

Sincerely,
Laryssa