From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:56:12 -0400
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:05:42 -0400, Wolfy <wolfysluv@...> wrote:

>I was alerted to this sickening video on YouTube. The video depicts
>some young people who regularly let their ferret get drunk.

Hi,

For several recent years I ran a small in-home ferret shelter in
Florida. The shelter closed when I moved out of state.

Anyway, one of the ferrets I took in had belonged to some kids - high
school or college - who regularly let him drink beer and get drunk.
This ferret had/has very serious behavior problems related to the
alcoholism. I believe he has been brain damaged from this and after
a great deal of intensive work by several dedicated and very gifted
ferret people, he is now well enough that euthanasia is off the table,
but he will never be adoptable. He cannot be trusted around anyone
other than his primary caretaker - and she is an expert in dealing
with biters and other behavior-challenged ferrets.

This is another, hopefully less common form of animal abuse. It is no
less severe than many other types of animal abuse. I'm sure there is
no way to do it, but it sure would be nice if these people could be
prosecuted and then prohibited from ever owning animals of any kind
again.

Kim
Fuzzy Follies Ferret Ferret Rescue
(formerly) Lakeland, FL