From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 00:45:20 -0700
I wasn't sure if there are/is a bridge greeter or reporter anymore.
But, I would like to post that Data, my first personal boy to pass
away, ventured to the Rainbow Bridge earlier this month. He had
lymphoma. It is incredible how much lymphoma I have dealt with in
the last two years. So much so I asked the vets to take pictures at
necropsy. I just could not believe it, one after another. But, such
is life.

Data was a Marshall Farms (all mine are) that was starved after being
bought at Petco, and returned by the owner. He recuperated at the vet
with Grey, a ferret of the same age who was starved and hit (often).
They were returned to the store in good health from the vet, and I
bought them both. This was right before I officially did rescue.
I hadn't planned on getting him; I'd had my eye on Grey, who had
behavioural issues (heavy biting, sucking, and odd latching). But
Data was his best friend, so they both came home with me.

Data always was a sweetheart. He was the one who would do tricks for
treats. I said dance, and he would turn around in a circle, and stand
up for a treat. But if I just gave him a treat, he didn't want it; he
wanted to do the dance first. Then he would eat the treat. He was so
smart. He'd claw at my foot for attention, something I miss and when
someone accidently runs over my foot now, I think it's him. But no one
is really scratching my foot; only he did that. And it hurt. He'd also
"comb" my hair with his front paws. Just digging, really....I think. He
loved to curl up in the sheet when I played the sheet game with all of
them. He'd march right in the middle, with everyone else playing, and
make a little "nest" in the middle of the room and curl up to sleep,
but the others would wake him.

He had adrenal surgery in February. Two or three weeks later, lymphoma
hit him overnight. The vet said he saw slightly enlarged lymph nodes
during the adrenal surgery, but nothing to be alarmed about. We kept
him alive for five days; it became clear he would not get strong enough
to do chemotherapy. We had to put him to sleep.

I just couldn't post this sooner. Yes I love all my ferrets the same.
But some of them just make a deeper hole in my heart when they go. Data
was a people ferret. Most of mine are just absorbed in each other, and
seek me out for a little playtime and then go, run back to the group.
Data hung out with us; he'd curl up on us, and look into our eyes,
listen, look, and express himself. I guess you could say he was more
mature. The others, some of them barely look at me (Fisher!!) and try
to scamper away quickly to go play if I hold them. Data was just....
special to us in that he really did want to connect to us on a deeper
level.

I miss you Data, and I hope you are having fun across the Rainbow
Bridge with all of your friends. He was only three and a half.

Laryssa