Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:06:34 -0400
I have received a call from a lady in Minneapolis that purchased a baby
ferret from a local Petco. The ferret had crusty eyes and she took him
to a vet. The vet said they had seem some other cases recently and all
the ferrets eventually died and they felt it was from distemper. These
were all Petco ferrets.

We just want to get the word out to Minnesota people to be on the look
out. I would like to get more information and try to track the source
of the problem.

She also said the baby appeared to be only 6 weeks old, even though
the certificate said 10 weeks. He still made the grunting noises that
babies do when they are nursing.

I'm just wondering if they could come down with distemper for being
vaccinated too soon? Maybe their systems couldn't handle that first
round?

Thanks for any input. Any other states out there having the same
problem with baby ferrets?

Liz
   ...in the Company of Ferrets, Inc.
   www.ferretasylum.org