Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:38:08 EST
It was really late when I got home last night from caring for my mom.
The hall had dozens of ferret treats sprawled out on the floor leading
into a bedroom. He Who Must Not Be Named probably stole the bag and
ripped it open with his teeth. I figured if I left them there until
morning that the kids would not be climbing on the bed for any in the
middle of the night.

The attacks started with gentle nibbles. But they progressed to wrist
chewing and foot tickling.I tried moving my feet in the air and off the
side of the bed. The devils waited until I brought my legs back down on
the bed and relentlessly nipped and tickled me yet again.

In the drawer next to me was **a plastic bottle of Pounce**...the moist
cat treats for my Persian. I scrounged and groped in the dark with my
eyes closed to find it, poured out a few goodies, put the bottle back
in the drawer next to the bed, and went to sleep.

I was awakened again and again. Apparently the treats trailing down
the hall were not fresh enough. LOL. So I poured out the last of the
Pounce...not many left to begin with. All this again I did with my eyes
shut. It helps me to fall back asleep almost immediately after late
night fert visits.

Shortly there after I heard a soft clumping noise through the fan and
sound machine I have on to drown out the noise of all the sprinting
through metal tubes that occurs all around me in the dark. Part of
me wanted to ignore yet another noise. But my heart started beating
quickly. Alarm bells rang in my head. I had never heard this noise. I
thank God the cautious side of me forced me to open my eyes and turn
on the lights.

He Who Must Not Be Named...my deaf devil who chews through metal,
plastic and cords?...He had his head stuck in the Pounce plastic jar
clear up to his neck. I found him in a metal tube and dragged him
out. I was able to yank it off in time. He would most likely have
suffocated. He is alive and as wild as ever his morning..

Thank God I was home. No more Pounce treats in a jar.

***Beware the Pounce bottle.***

On the Fennec foxes....great videos. They reminded me of why I really
wanted one. No vet here would have treated one, and some states outlaw
them. Your county may not allow them. Your home owners association may
not allow them. Be sure you do your homework on these gorgeous animals.

Very cool to see them on a bed and playing with small dogs. Not at all
what I was emailed by people who owned them. I had a stuffed animal...
a fennec fox. I adored it. When I saw one for sale in a pet shop...you
cannot believe how much I wanted one.

Too late for me to get one now. I am too near retirement now. So I have
not checked to see if vets here now treat them, or if emergency vets
will see a fox for treatment if there is an emergency. I DO know that
they will not see ferrets. So I do not see why they would see a fox.
Plus I KNOW my association will not allow one. .

It has been a good 15 years since I thought of getting one. Maybe books
on surgeries, parasites, illnesses, etc. have been written on the
fennec fox. But I would not want THe odor. I can barely smell anything.
But I could smell THAT urine odor...very potent and wild ..

If you go to Brookfield Zoo into the large area that houses one fennec
fox...the odor will smack you as you walk in. You can get a clear idea
of the urine odor there. Whoosh!

Still...if you see one up close...it is hard not to desire one of these
delicate beauties. Of course, I also wanted a skunk, an opossum, a
dumbo rat, and a tiny dog. I think I have found the best of all worlds
in my domesticated Tazmanian devils...my ferrets.