From:
Michele Paulhus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:55:56 -0800
The house is still as I lay asleep on the futon. Below my conciousness,
I feel a little brush against my face. Thinking that I am dreaming, I
sigh and fall back into sleep. But there it is again, like little
butterfly wings, gently kissing my cheeks.

I lie there, floating in that state between sleep and wakefulness and
I feel it again--along my chin-my nose, my lips, my eyes. As it
continues, I finally surface and slowly open my eyes. It is Loki.

Having awakened from her perch in her split hammack--she comes over
to the futon to rub her whiskers and nose all along my face. As I lay
their unmoving, she continues to give my face her little whiskery
kisses until she is done.

She pats my cheek with her nose one last time as if to say "I love you
mama, now I'm going back to bed" and toddles back to her hammie to fall
back to sleep.

I am blessed, because I will have that moment forever... even after the
lymphoma has finally won the battle she continues to wage--I will have
that moment. I will be able to pluck it from my heart-where all such
memories are safely tucked away.

My first little sable baby, blessing her mama's face with her sweet
little whiskery kisses.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing,
therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any
fellow travelor, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it,
for I shall not pass this way again.