From:
AarrowRanch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2008 11:20:53 -0500
Very good post that brought out some very good points but here it is
in the real world.

Ferrets are not like cats and dogs. The SPCA usually do not take them
in rather they depend on Ferret rescue shelters to do that for them.
Ferrets are not received by animal control the way cats and dogs are
where ferrets need to be in a cage and cats and dogs run loose when
in a home. Ferrets require special food that SPCA rescue do not have
or keep in supply. So ferrets loose on all counts.

The SPCA will jump in on sudden and catastrophic cases like the VA
Beach rescue or a horse that has been starved which I have seen on the
news. But only in cases where the animals need immediate and desperate
help do they do much.

Yes the SPCA could have issued a 24 hour clean up order with follow up
but that is not how they do things. Maybe in time that will change but
do not look for these things to change in the near future.

Carol did a most magnificent job for decades. This time it all got away
from her and she did not seek help when she could have. This set her
up for a huge tumble non stop to an end. So very sad for Carol and the
many ferrets she had never mind those she would have saved over time
hence. We as a society loose on this one.

The USA has many huge faults. Yet it still is the very best there is on
the planet and the best that was ever constructed for huge populations.

I do not believe in the two party system but is what we have. We don't
vote for a candidate as much as we vote for one of the two clubs that
supply who we are allowed to vote for. The animal rescue situation of
all kinds of animals could use as much change but that will not happen
either. Is just how it is. Possibly better control on sale and
ownership of animals would be a better answer but there is much
resistance to that and I can agree as much as I disagree with that.
Some countries do not allow its people to have pets, like Japan. I
don't agree with that but they do not have these horror stories and
cruelty either. So where is that happy nadir point?

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. And on animal ownership
structure discusses with a politician is.... well... blowing in his/her
wind too. We win and loose. The balance has yet to be discovered and
implemented.

In a perfect world your headlights will melt the snow in front of you
too, but, well that's another story.

Gordon, Peekaboo and Pester

Rev. J. Gordon Bengtson
Aarrow-Ranch Aviation