Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 02:29:40 -0800
One of the nice parts about doing nothing while sitting in a house
without internet connections and extremely poor cell coverage
(Elizabeth's house out in the country), was that I was able to read
the last few months of the FML! While I haven't read all of the back
issues, I did read the most current ones and saw the posts about TLE
and her house.

I know Troy Lynn and she is one adorable lady. I would be over there in
a second to help, but I'll be leaving for New Zealand in a month and I
simply don't have time to go to Kansas before I go. But I have an idea
*IF* TLE can hold off the work until July.

I would love to drive my pickup over to Kansas after I return from
the Ferret Project (July), loaded with my table saw, drills, tools,
and just about anything necessary to cut off appendages and nail your
feet to the floor. I would like to challenge other FML members to show
up the same day. We could do all the repairs together, thus get a
tremendous amount of work done in a short time. I'll bet we could move
her ferrets into temporary cages, shove her stuff into her backyard and
cover it with tarps, clean and repair the interior and exterior of her
house, paint, and return her stuff during a single weekend if we had
enough people. I would even bring my barbecue and promise not to cook.

I don't have anything to bribe people with to encourage them to show
up, but I would be happy to give a slide show of European ferrets, or
talk, or just stick a rock in my mouth and not say anything for the
entire weekend. We could make the project a "Ferret Event," and perhaps
even ask some companies for donations of materials to keep the project
cheap. I have a good amount of painting equipment, including a power
painter, I could donate a fair amount of lumber for building shelves
and cubbys to help organize her ferret space a bit better. I have LOTS
of cleaning stuff that I rarely use (hey, I'm clean, ok?). We could
solicit donations of fabric for new drapes, perhaps for slip covers
for her furniture... you get the idea.

I know I should have asked TLE about this before I posted to the FML,
and perhaps I should not expect people to want to wait and work in mid
to late July. It is just that I have known TLE for quite some time,
respect her, and think she has given a lot to the ferret community
for a long time and has received little reward or recognition for her
courageous efforts. I also think that if we expect to hold shelters to
high standards, then we also must also be willing to help when help is
requested. This is especially true for people who do not have clubs or
membership that would normally kick in on the cleaning and maintenance.

I am sure there is someone who would be willing to be the official
organizer of this event. I have tons of tools and an intimate knowledge
of how to hurt myself using them. Anyone willing to donate paint,
fabrics, and other supplies? Anyone willing to just show up for the
weekend and work hard?

Come on folks! There has been so much bitching about the ferret
community lately; why don't we just have a party and help out a sweet
lady who would sell her last pint of blood to help a ferret? Anyone
with me?

Bob C [log in to unmask]