From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:52:48 -0600
I have read the great support and love people have poured out to Carole
and think that is wonderful.

But

No matter if you intentionally starve ferrets or it is due to not
taking care of them - bottom line is they still suffered. It doesn't
take long for them to get sick and out of control.

I see judgment against everyone who did step in to help- the
authorities didn't know what they were doing, the vets called in put
down healthy ferrets, the neighbors handled it wrong, they shouldn't
complain because it was Carole (forget their fears animals were
neglected or they paid for their property and were miserable from
the smell)

Carole got sick - apparently both mentally and physically as laying
back and letting the animals get in that kind of condition is a
sickness as hoarding is. This was not the first time animal control was
out there.........they have rules of so many warnings and tickets etc,
and when that is ignored then they go in and confiscate the animals and
file charges against the people..........How many who are saying these
people were all wrong actually was on the scene and saw the condition
of the ferrets or examined the ferrets put down. How many called up the
neighbors and asked them just how bad the smell was, why they couldn't
put up with it or whether they had talked to her before or reported
her before or had they done everything they could think of. How many
checked to see she was still taking in ferrets when she knew she
couldn't take care of them and the ones she had were already sick and
dying............

Carole needs your support but that doesn't mean everyone else did
wrong. Who en she first got to the point she had numerous deaths, she
could have called for help. Even if the authorities did step in and
take hers at that time, at least the ferrets wouldn't have gotten into
as bad of a condition . When she regained her health, she could have
started up again as there is always need for a shelter. I can't imagine
laying back and just letting these darlings die cause I am too sick to
take care of them - and I have been sick with 50 60 to care for but
here we have a big support group, we share the duties of the shelter.
Also I have told them the beginning warnings, when I quit adopting out,
when I quit allowing them to come over and help me clean, when I quit
making my records available, when I have so many deaths please come
rescue these ferrets from me. (I am petrified one day I may get into
that kind of condition and no matter how wonderful a job I did up till
then, the ones with me don't deserve to die like that), I understand
even the first person who stood up for her had offered to go clean and
the lady wouldn't allow it - one of the big flags right there.

I have also read where all you have to do is subq them and give them a
full tummy again - take it from one who has ferrets in her freezer and
who has stayed up all night with ferrets: sometimes they are too far
gone to bring them back even with all the love and medical knowhow we
have. Even a vet would not second guess what they did unless he/she
saw the animal in person. To those who say all you have to do....
you either got to the ferret before it was too far gone or have had
marvelous results on every ferret you doctored. A shelter mom with a
few years of experience has many a tale to tell of a ferret brought
to them comatose and/or so wasted it was just fur laying on bones and
the fight is lost before you start. Do any of you know none of those
ferrets were in that shape? does anyone know if she had a vet and how
often she took the ferrets to the vet? If she was getting sick ones in
all the time, she would have to use the vet on some even with a great
knowledge of ferret illness?) You know, you can turn to your vet for
help too, they know the correct people to save the animals.

You can support Carole emotionally and by all means do so as she needs
that support, not to feel hated or condemned but to be supported. I am
sure she needs it and I am sure she helped thousands of ferrets in the
past, but keep in mind the condition she was in vs the condition of
the ferrets, two totally different things. You don't have to tear down
organizations fighting for the welfare of animals to support her, thank
goodness we have them as there have been some really pitiful incidents
they were sorely needed.

Lets rally for her support and help build a stronger community for the
shelters to have back up systems and places they can go for help when
they get overwhelmed, set it up now before the emergency strikes. Again
no matter how good we are at this moment, things can change and get
out of hand.........Stress to those starting up a shelter this is a
priority, give helping hands to those already deep into it, there are
those to reach out to. Warn those who want to start this on their own,
its almost impossible without having a network of helpers and they must
put up their own little police force (don't call it that) in case they
get in trouble and don't recognize it themselves.

Make this a positive thing to come out of a disaster. Don't condemn
those who did step in to correct it where other ferrets wouldn't be
suffering the same had she been let to continue as she was doing.

Millie and her Cleaning Crew
www.Txferretrescue.org