Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:32:54 -0500
Anyone who enters an AFA show with ferrets, regardless if they are
showing or not MUST abide by the shot and testing rules. Period. If
you enter a show and the folks at the door pass you through without
checking your documentation, then YOU should take the responsibility to
notify another show official. If you don't then you really don't care
about the safety of your ferrets since you came in the show with no
concern that others may have ferrets there with no shot and testing
check either. That's my 2 cents. Oh, and thanks Deb, this will NOT
happen again!!!

Here is the shot and testing verbiage for the March 29, 2008 AFA Spring
Nationals Show to be held in York PA. All AFA sanctioned shows pretty
much use the same verbiage - only the dates are changed.

All ferrets entered in and/or for sale at the show must have been
vaccinated for Canine Distemper and Rabies. Dates for CD vaccination
should be between April 12, 2007 and March 15, 2008 and your ferret
kits must have their kit series completed. Dates for Rabies vaccination
must be between April 12, 2007 and March 15, 2008 and your ferret must
have been vaccinated with IMRAB-3. See AFA Vaccination Policy enclosed
in this show packet.

ACCEPTABLE PROOF OF VACCINATION: For rabies vaccination the veterinary
certificate must state the name of the vaccine or the manufacturer
(listing FERRET RABIES only is NOT ACCEPTABLE). The American Ferret
Association (AFA) recommends vaccinating ferrets with USDA licensed
vaccine products labeled for use in ferrets. Use of vaccines that do
not include ferrets on the manufacturer's label is an off-label usage;
use these products only after consulting with a ferret knowledgeable
veterinarian and only in circumstances when the risk of infection
warrants the use of the vaccine. Please provide your original
documentation at check-in for entry into the show hall.

This will be a NON-VETTED show, you are responsible for the health of
your ferret, so out of consideration for all other attendees and their
ferrets, PLEASE DO NOT BRING A SICK FERRET TO THE SHOW.

All ferrets entering the show hall must provide proof of negative ADV
(Aleutian's Disease Virus) testing between the dates of SEPTEMBER 22,
2007 and MARCH 22, 2008. Testing must be by the CEP Test or the Avecon
ELISA Saliva Test and results must be: 1) on tester's original result's
letterhead; 2) testing date must be on the letter and within the stated
period; 3) ferret names must be on the testing result's letter (names
must match show entry). Avecon POCT instant tests are NOT ACCEPTABLE.
A letter from your vet is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Faxes or copies are NOT
ACCEPTABLE.

You will be required to sign a statement at check in to the effect that:

No ferret that I am bringing with me into the show hall today has ever
had a definitive positive test result on the CEP or Avecon ELISA saliva
test (POCT and ELISA blood tests are not acceptable).

If in the past 4 months a ferret from my household
(shelter/facility/ferretry) has had a definitive positive test result
on the CEP or Avecon ELISA saliva test (POCT and ELISA blood tests are
not acceptable), I understand that all ferrets in the same household
(shelter/facility/ferretry) are considered as being exposed. I also
understand that I can not show or bring any ferrets from said household
into the show hall today, regardless of their testing status.

I also understand that just because all ferrets in the show hall today
have been tested for ADV within the six months prior to the show, that
this is not a guarantee of safety. I understand that the test is only
as good as the day it was taken and I still need to practice SAFE
FERRET habits at all times.

Vickie McKimmey

Just a Business of Ferrets
www.jbferret.com
American Ferret Association
Director of Shows and Special Events
www.ferret.org
Author of Ferrets: An Animal Planet Pet Care Library Series Book