From:
Sara Gennusa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:46:01 -0500
It is with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes that I announce the
passing of my first and most beloved ferret, MJ. She died in my arms
this morning, right after I had called the vet to come in and put her
down. In a way it was better this way, but I can't stop thinking that
if I'd done just a little bit more for her...

MJ was brilliant, spunky, and the alpha ferret throughout her life.
She was a beautiful chocolate, always large for a girl, with more
personality than several ferrets combined. She could smell trouble
from a mile away, and it sure could find her. MJ's entry into my life
facilitated ferret rescue and education while I was living in NJ and
working at Petco. She used to sit up at the register in a shopping cart
while I was on register, and rode around on top of the stock while I
was putting items on the shelves. Her and her sister Nibbles used to go
to Wal-mart with me, and then to the fabric store to pick out bedding
for sleep sacks, which we donated to shelters.

My mom remembers when she was a kit, and she would run into my parents'
forbidden bedroom and attack her stockinged feet. She says she doesn't
put on stockings now without thinking of MJ.

Once, MJ got loose in the finished basement, and I could hear her, but
couldn't find her. She had gotten into the fireplace, and brought her
sooty little nose dooking across the room into the laundry room. She
then ran behind the washer and dryer and took a nosedive through the
cat box. I lost her again, and heard a crinkle of wrapper. She had
gotten into the algae wafers for the fish tank and was making a meal
of them.

At a ferret show in PA, I wanted to get her professionally
photographed. It took us over an hour and a half to get a handful of
good shots. The photographers almost gave up on her.

MJ used to play sick to get extra attention (and ferretvite). That's
why it was so terrible to see her actually sick these past few weeks.

MJ travelled with me through several tough stages in my life, and she
was my first pet and companion as an adult on my own. In 2006, she
moved to St. Thomas with me. And unfortunately that's where I had to
say goodbye. It never gets easier. We take these guys into our lives
knowing what will come, but it still doesn't stop us.

Kim Fix posted about her ferret's passing stating that she cried
"Celebrate my life!". How true. I am still grieving, and expect that
will continue, but I needed to write this, to celebrate her life.
There could never be a truer companion in my life, whether furry or
two-legged. MJ was an original, a diamond in the rough.

In honor of my little girl, I have adopted a ferret from the ferret
giving tree (he has her face). Hopefully the gifts in her honor will
make another fuzzy's life brighter this holiday season.

So you're leaving in the morining, on an early train
I could say everything's' alright
I could pretend and say goodbye
You got your ticket
You got your suitcase
You got your leaving smile
I could say that's the way it goes
I can pretend and you won't know
That I was lying
Cause I can't stop loving you
I can't stop loving you
No I can't stop loving you
Though I try
You took a taxi into the station
Not a word was said
I saw you walk across the road (bridge)
For maybe the last time I don't know
I'm feeling humble
I heard a rumble on a railway track
And when I hear that whistle blow
I'll walk away and you won't know
That I was crying.
Cause I can't stop loving you
I can't stop loving you]
No I can't stop loving you
Why do I try

This song played yesterday on my way to work, and I couldn't help but
think of MJ. I can only hope that she is whole once again, with plants
to uproot, fish to catch, tons of treats, and her sister and brother,
Oracle and Gizmo. Also waiting at the bridge for her are Rocky, Lola,
Paws, Christopher, and Carlos, and any rescued who might have passed
that were found an loved because of her entry into my life.

You will be sorely missed baby girl.

Love,
Sara