Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:38:30 EDT
Happy fall to all of you! Lovely cloud formations and brilliant blazing
red leaves on many trees here against the dark blue of the sky.

I just came back from a lovely short vacation. The pet sitter did not
give soups to anyone on my orders. Tuffy and Daisy are a little chunky
already. Yet getting up yesterday, I heard a gurgling bone chilling
noise. I found my 4 year old Daisy on her side with glazed eyes. She
was limp. Her head lolled to the side when I picked her up as though
she had just died. And she felt light..lighter than before I left for
vacation.

I placed her in a carrier, and ran around getting dressed while trying
to pull myself out of being shocky. Poison. Poison was a possible
explanation. Insulinoma. That was another. Poison. Where could she
have gotten a poison?

When I was dressed and ready to go,I warmed some baby chicken soup and
took Daisy out of the carrier.. She ate the entire jar. Her eyes had
lost the glaze and were wide open again. She could walk. It did not
hurt to gently press her body. Her breathing sounded normal. Looking
like insulinoma.

Upon taking her to the cat/dog vet that had an opening, I asked for
a blood glucose test. I called Zoo before I went to the vet. She
suspected insulinoma. The results came back 60. My vet thought that
was normal for a ferret. I called Zoo again with the results.

I am so grateful for Zoo and her experiences. And I am grateful to my
vet who is not ferret knowledgable. She is willing to listen and try
things. If it had not been for Zoo, I would have left thinking it was
just some fluky thing that happened to Daisy. Or I would have left
frustrated.

But luckily for me, she was prompt to help my trouble making beautiful
silver mitt with jet black nose.

The vet also thought to give pred instead of prednisolone. Then she
thought giving the prednisolone once a day was enough. Once again...I
thank both Zoo AND my vet. Zoo gave me the corrected info. as I stood
there in the office. And my vet graciously accepted it.

My thanks yet again to a most kind and loving ferret person. She has
been a rock.

Thank you
Zoo.