From:
Tressie Dutchyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:09:54 -0300
This is in response to the query about ferrets going back into cages
on their own. 3 of my 4 regularly return to their cages to snooze while
I leave the doors open. Sometimes they opt for my dresser drawers as a
snooze spot, more often they choose the cage. Tiramisu will choose the
cage 95% of the time.

I began early on giving them Ferretone sprinkled in a little water
to reward them whenever I put them back into their cages. Positive
reinforcement! They started letting me know when they wanted to go back
into their cages after play because they'd head to the cage looking for
the 'treat dish' and looking up at me seeming to ask "Okay - where is
it?" Now they go in on their own and go directly into their hammocks
with or without the Ferretone treat. I still give it to them if I need
to go out and put them back into their cages, if they're not already
there.

A friend of mine made me portable carpeted wooden ramps I can hook into
the cages so that its easy for them to get in and out at will.

Interestingly, when Linguini was recovering from her surgery I kept her
in the single level convalescing cage. The cage is located on the floor
and I leave the door open to it so they can all explore it from time
to time. She will occasionally go into the hammock in that cage and
snooze, especially if she wants some alone time from the others.

I think the concept of 'cage' may have been transformed into 'bedroom'
in their clever little minds.

Tressie A. Dutchyn, MA ID PhD student,
Dalhousie University Research Associate
Atlantic Interdisciplinary Research Network for Social & Behavioral
Issues in Hepatitis C & HIV/AIDS Department of Community Health &
Epidemiology Dalhousie University, Faculty of Medicine