From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 14:49:40 -0400
Just in case anyone was not clear: although we have had times (day
trips, serious illness, etc.) when ferrets have had to be caged for a
day, we typically reserve that for night time only (and that is for
their own safety due to knowing how hard it is to find a ferret during
a fire, and also because I still need sleeping braces so could
accidently clomp down hard on one in the dark).

We found, though, that ferrets can learn about day braces and canes
and be careful, and that people can work up compromises or creative
solutions for many problems (though not all). For example, we have a
low barrier held with tension rods and behind that a taller one (ditto)
which get removed to get in and out of the room. We hope to wind up
replacing the second one with Dutch Doors since we want to remove the
existing room door and also have the hinges moved to the other side so
we don't have an attractive narrow space in which ferrets want to poop.
Anyway, the low barrier slow them down, but even when my feet and
ankles were immobile it allowed room entry. Then the taller barrier
gets replaced after going in or out. With more extensive braces than I
needed that would not work. Mine were basically "Gauntlet" or "Arizona"
types.

Yes, I realize that not everyone can provide the amount of time that
gives optimal exercise for good health and that life just is like that
some times; but others will want to know how important exercise is for
keeping their ferrets as well as possible for those individuals.

Most important ferret proofing tip: take yourself to ferret eye level
and check things from that vantage point.

Also important: things are usually NOT either/or. Typically there is a
good solution like Alex's of ferret proofing the bathroom and having
them in there when she gets sick.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: