From:
Vicki Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 07:17:37 -0700
I have used diatomaceous earth for many years and never had a problem
with it, but then I use precautions when applying it. I have found
information saying to give to your dog/cat for internal parasite
control. While this has been recommended I would not do it - I'm just
not comfortable with that even with recommended dilutions.

My original search for information, years ago before I bought the first
bag, had many people complaining about eye irritation and inhalation
problems so when applying I take precautions for that. I do not put it
where pets can sniff it or kick up any trace of dust to get into their
eyes.

The information I found also stated that the product becomes
ineffective if it becomes wet - I can't find information to that effect
now. In fact I find information about spraying a wetted solution - not
sure how well that works.

Last summer I could not find what I normally buy so I asked about it in
the garden center at a local WalMart. The man I spoke with assured me
that what they carried was indeed the same product. Ok my bad I should
have searched further when confronted with buying something a little
different. And what a difference that "little" seems to make.

What I have now found is that although still labeled as amorphous
diatomaceous earth the crystilline % content is much higher than the
product sold as an insecticide and indeed the swimming pool/filtration
product because of intense heating is not effective as an insecticide.
This product, if inhaled, also can cause a lung condition which can
become deadly.

Thank you to the ladies who offered a warning. While I think being
horrified is a bit over reactive the point made is well taken and
appreciated.

Vicki Montgomery Tricks and Treats Rescue
Greater Houston/Galveston Texas
713-472-6599
"Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things,
man will not himself find peace." ~ Dr. Albert Schweitzer