Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 05:18:29 -0700
From:
First, my posting disclaimer: This is not a flame to the poster
regarding the petfinder issue. Petfinder should be ashamed of
themselves.

If there is one term that burns me up more in the rescue business it is
the word "unadoptable". According to Merriam-Webster, (the authority on
the English language) the word does not even exist...and so it should
not in the animal rescue business. No big surprise that it does mind
you when we see how we treat elderly humans, cheating them from
healthcare and robbing them of their "social security", continuing to
tax them after they have paid to the "system" 10 x over...but that's
another subject.

When I joined a local club to further my education in ferrets several
years ago, it was this very word that was a part of my inspiration to
start my own rescue. Unadoptable. Unwanted? Unlovable? Undeserving? No,
no and no. There ARE people out there willing to take on these ferrets
that human arrogance has tagged with the term "unadoptable". Further
to this, there are folks that exist ONLY to take in the neediest of
furkids. I know several of them. I just wonder how many ferrets are
cheated from the care and love they deserve because of human arrogance.
Who are we to decide? No one has that right. NO ONE. There are no
"unadoptables", only special needs and this is also the need to make
some furkids "permanent residents" . Not enough people will step up to
care for the special needs kids that need so much attention. God bless
the shelter moms like Zoo's Ferret Sanctuary thatcomodate so many of
these kids. What a shame that shelters that are able to accomodate such
ferrets are under fire for being a hoarder or collector. Pathetic.
Truly pathetic. I shudder at the thought of how ferrets live in an
organization who callously throw around the term "unadoptable". I have
seen a few ferrets in this situation and I made them adoptable and they
came to live with me, even if their time was brief. In loving memory
of these special kids that started it all and inspired me to rescue
ferrets, Gypsy, Tip and Sweet Pea.

Kimberly Fox
Director/Rescue Mom
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html
Help The Helpless. SUPPORT PRIVATE RESCUE
Pay Pal accepted for donations at this email address.