From:
"Cheryl L. Stansberry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:40:36 -0600
My friend's message:

Today Riley picked up our newest ferret to wake him up to play. He
slept longer in her lap than he normally does so I took him from her
to check on him. His entire face is swollen. Around and in his mouth
is black. He can't open his eyes or mouth because of the swelling. He
is breathing fast, shaking and having accidents on himself. He is very
restless and seems to be in a lot of pain.

We are snowed in right now so I can't take him to the vet. I did call
them and they told me to treat it like an allergic reaction and to
give him 0.3 cc of childrens benadryl every 8 hours, but there isn't
much more they can advise. I've been giving him water in a syringe to
help keep him hydrated but I have to massage his neck to get him to
swallow it.