Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 01:09:14 -0500
Several people have asked for a formal statement to share with the
press about the situation in Virginia Beach. Others have speculated
as to what transpired. While this is not an official statement, you
are welcome to use any of the information contained below.

Lisa Leidig, local ferret shelter operator and board member of
F.E.R.R.E.T., has been to both the Virginia Beach SPCA and Animal
Control to check on the ferrets. While she was not allowed to visit
the 16 ferrets in Animal Control, she did examine the 21 at the SPCA.
She trimmed nails on all and cleaned ears and nails. The ferrets were
treated for fleas and ear mites. Food, toys and bedding were provided
and gratefully received by both facilities. The policy is for toys to
stay separate for species, so ferret toys were especially welcome.

Procedures and funding for ADV testing for the ferrets was provided
to both facilities. It is expected that the results will be available
prior to adoption and transport. Vaccinations were also administered.
Lisa's ferret vet has also been in contact with the facilities and has
offered his services to them. I do not have additional information on
his involvement, but he has worked with them in the past.

If you are interested in adopting these ferrets, please go to the
websites and submit an application and adoption fee. Information
with contact names was printed in an earlier FML.

On a personal note, I have an observation. Carole has previously taken
in elderly and ill ferrets, as have many of us. We have all seen how
quickly they can go downhill. Just read the FHL to see how much can go
wrong. I have been so ill I could not care for myself, much less my
ferrets. I am sure that at some time, many of you have also. However,
she did not ask for help. Had she done so, perhaps this could have been
avoided. Perhaps the message here is to make a plan for support and
care for our pets in the event of illness. Instead of waiting until we
are in over our heads, we should ask for help when we start to feel
uneasy. Just one more day, just one more step, just one more moment -
when do we go too far? It happens fast. We need to draw our line and
the moment we see we are near, we need to implement our plan, and not
move the line.

When more information becomes available, it will be shared with the
ferret community.

--
Renee Downs
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the