From:
Nancy Herring <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:07:04 -0500
Early in 2007, my daughter adopted a ferret from a bad situation The
poor little guy was being fed cheap cat food and was living in an
extremely small cage with only a holey hammock to his name. Before
my daughter and her family moved to the Wichita area, they named him
Mocha because of his color and the fact that he came to them without
a name, they upgraded him to a rabbit cage and ferret food, and they
occasionally let him free roam in an empty room with their cat.

Since their move to the Wichita area, Mocha has been residing in an
extra ferret cage of mine; but from what I can tell, the only time that
he gets interaction with anyone is when my son-in-law cleans his litter
box or puts food in the cage. There isn't much time for interaction
because they both have been working six days a week in addition to
having two children under 2 1/2 years and 3 outdoor pets. (Where they
are living now, the cat doesn't come in the house and Mocha can only
free roam if he is supervised; so since they are rarely home, he never
gets time out of his cage.)

When they moved to the Wichita area in April, Mocha was pretty smelly
so I lent them my ferret shampoo and told them to wash his hammie
weekly. I don't think that his hammie has been washed since April and
I know that he hasn't been so he is again pretty smelly. We have never
tested him for ADV. They are presently feeding him 8 and 1 ferret food.
Basically he sleeps in his hammie all day long with occasional trips
to the bottom of the cage to go potty, eat, or drink.

I told them that I thought that I could find him a good home where he
would get more attention and out time through these ferret mailing
lists I am on, and today they told me to see what I could do for him.

The people my daughter got Mocha from were not his original owners,
so we don't know his age or history or how many owners he has had or
anything. If anyone out there is willing to give this gentle little guy
with his one holey hammie a better situation than he presently has, I
would be so grateful. I feel so sorry for him and all the other little
neglected ferrets like him, but unfortunately I know that he is still
better off than many. He does have food and water and warmth and
occasional love.

I used to have two ferrets but I lost one to cancer. My 5 year old
Sparky is just fine being an only ferret and my husband and daughter
don't want me to get any more ferrets. If it wasn't for them, I would
take Mocha myself.

Please e-mail or call me if you are interested in taking Mocha into
your home and giving him a better life.

Thanks,
Nancy
[log in to unmask] or 316-733-2842