From:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 30 Nov 2007 12:18:23 -0500592_- MiniMe was larger than life on the FML and to many of us here. I can't
believe she is gone. For many years I've followed her escapades through
Lissettes eyes and I will be eternally grateful for those memories.

Over the years, many "famous" ferrets here have been paired and
inseparable from their owners. The names of these ferrets and people
can't be said without the other. And it over).
Works really well, they can't climb it (when on it's side) and it folds
easily if I want it to. Since I am using the Super Pet bottoms for
"drawers" underneath my new ferret nation cages, I have no other use
for the "sides" and I already shipped off the super pet shelves to [...]45_2Sep200716:14:[log in to unmask] 0709 1202 32 25_Ferret throwing up [log in to unmask], 3 Sep 2007 13:04:51 -0700456_- We just visited a pet store the other day and they were adopting out
a ferret with special needs, as they could not sell him. He his five
months old, and two months ago he had an episode of throwiing up blood.
This was a one time thing, and none of the vets seemed to know what or
why this had happened, or the cause. One vet gave the ferret a shot of
vitamin K which seemed to help and recommended this if he has another
episode. [...]38_3Sep200713:04:[log in to unmask] 0709 1235 22 24_pez head in deaf [log in to unmask], 3 Sep 2007 07:56:16 -0500562_- I was interested to read the comment about a deaf ferret making pez
motions with his head and that it was a firm indicator of deafness
to the rescuer.

I have had ferrets for years. My last two were both deaf, completely
stone cold deaf, and neither one of them EVER made a pez head motion
with their heads. I wonder if this is common? Does anyone else see
their deaf ferrets make this motion and what is the reason for it? Is
this a commonly accepted "diagnosis" of deafness or a way to tell if
the ferret is hearing [...]36_3Sep200707:56:[log in to unmask] 0709 1258 34 18_Re: Ferret Bonding11_kat [log in to unmask], 3 Sep 2007 07:59:01 -0500583_- >From: Rebecca Simpson <[log in to unmask]>

>Do ferrets really bond that strongly? I've made it a part of my
>contract that bonded pairs don't ever get split up unless there's
>a veterinary reason for it, but I'm seeing reason to believe it
>may not be that big of a deal...

for what it is worth....i have seen ferrets grieve themselves to death
over losing a bonded mate... BUT not all ferrets coming from the same
household are bonded...some may not even get along...like the 2 i just
rescued... [...]44_3Sep200707:59:[log in to unmask] 0709 1293 20 18_Re: Ferret Bonding14_Joanne [log in to unmask], 3 Sep 2007 13:40:51 -0400537_- Based on personal experience, I'd have to say it depends on the ferret
and the bond ... I have lost two ferrets who could not survive the loss
of their bond-mate, despite all the love, support and care provided by
me and the other ferrets ... and I have had others who made it, with
lots of support. Right now I have three, and Harley pretty much goes
his own way ... I would not worry about him being a single, or
re-mixing with other ferrets. He plays with every ferret he meets, but
at the end of the play [...]43_3Sep200713:40:[log in to unmask] 0709 1314 15 15_Re: Lonely [log in to unmask], 3 Sep 2007 14:31:14 -0700250_- Hello :) I am not sure how old your little lady is BUT have you thought
of a retired MALE breeder ferret? Someone that is fixed but quite a bit
larger than her?

Just a thought!

Hugs,
Staci L. Sharp

[Posted in FML 5720]42_3Sep200714:31:[log in to unmask] 0709 1330 37 58_Ok that's five, six, seven... No
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2007 11:23:40 EDT
I have a suggestion for you that worked for me before I installed a
permanent door. It only works if you use a framed door (like one for
a bedroom). I used a regular, inexpensive, baby gate. The kind with
the pressure bar so it fits different sized doorways. Put the gate on
the outside of the door frame (so it's still on the frame but, if you
wanted to you could close the door). Then get a piece of plyboard (I
used Wainscoting because it was "finished" so no splinters and they
couldn't scratch it up. It's also very lightweight). Measure the width
of your door before you go to the store. When you buy the Wainscoting
(about $8.00 at Lowe's) they will cut it for you for free. Just tell
them the width you want. You can also have the length cut if you want
to. (I believe it comes in 4' lengths). When you get it home, just
slide it between the gate and the door jam. The door jam keeps it from
falling forward and the gate keeps it from falling backwards. When you
want to go in, you just lift the Wainscoting out and step over the
gate. Be careful when putting it back down as the little ones know they
can climb the gate and go running for it when you lift the Wainscoting.
Sometimes it's hard to get back down because little heads get in the
way. I hope this helps. I also hope I explained it well enough for you
to understand. If not, please, let me know and I will try to explain
better. Good Luck to all.

Paige Collier
Director, Adoptions & Rehabilitation
Richmond Ferret Rescue League