From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:49:13 -0500
I feel bad for Ms McCraig,
Don't get me wrong, my heart always goes out to the ferrets but we need
to take several things into account with the current SPCA seizure.

Most of the ferrets left in her care over the years were elderly, very
ferrets with illnesses like insulinoma, adrenal, lymphoma etc. She also
, while trying to run her rescue, had numerous issues with her outside
structure with local zoning. Let's not omit that she had not nearly
enough volunteer help to care for over a hundred sick and elderly
ferrets. Carole several times over the years since I have been aware of
her had been approached to cut back on her sheltering-- and like many
who get trapped in the rescue mode -- she felt she HAD to continue.

We have seen this happen over & over in the sheltering community..
it happened at Egg Harbor, it happened in NY with the sanctuary Best
Friends took over ( and then slandered the woman who gave her life and
resources to establish) it happens over and over because there is NOT
ENOUGH support to shelters, yet when the rescuers begin to cut back
the public cries "if you don't care for them who will?"

I am not surprised of this outcome it has been a while in coming. I am
sorry Carole would not cut back sooner. I sent her 5 large boxes of
ferret bedding last Fall, we corresponded quite a few times during that
time both on phone and via email. I encouraged her to lighten up and
restrict intakes for HER health. But she also was feeling pressured
that she could not say no.

When you have too many ferrets we all need to realize we NEED TO SAY NO
for all the ferrets in our care as well as for ourselves. If we don't
have health we cannot care for the animals.

This is the time our newer rescues need to take inventory and set their
realistic limit to the number of ferrets they can reasonably care for..
taking into account that you "might" be under the weather for a few
days and can you manage the numbers if this happens? Taking into
consideration the 5-6 helpers you have may go through life changes and
disappear, Given the fact that donations are not adequate to offset
operating costs.

Poor Carol has hit the media all across the US today. I am getting news
links from many folks..folks who know only what they read under the
headlines ... ferrets in freezer...

Well while Carole perhaps should have been more aggressive in working
with a local pet crematory, obviously it is better than stacking
decomposing ferrets in plastic boxes in an adjoining room to the ferret
cages, or putting them in zip lock bags and leaving them in abandoned
vehicles -- we have heard these in the past...

Shelter & Rescue is a BIG RESPONSIBILITY... whether you are state
licensed, non profit or not. It is a business with multi faceted and
problematic tasks which need to address hazmat disposal of needles and
expired medications, refuse disposal, burial or crematory expenses
etc. It is not just the matter of feeding and caging ferrets. You need
to make hard choices on limitations of vet care, screening potential
adopters so the ferrets don't end up back with you in 2 months in
horrid condition, etc.

Carole became a victim of her own kindness and she will pay in several
ways for her decisions.

If there is any good in her experience it is to all of us to heed the
lessons before they are our own. Learn to adjust the mode of rescue
work before it destroys you and the good work you can do,

Alicia, hospice Mom & educator,

www.ferretwise.org