Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:59:10 EST
>... AND if you see the hind leg weakness and drooling, but the vet
>says she does not have insulinoma, but your baby is obviously near
>death...think of trying the pred. It is working here. It worked for
>Daisy  for an extra 3 weeks of life after being told she was not
>insulinomic  with drooling and hind leg weakness. Her blood glucose
>was 60. This  can actually be low for a number of ferts, I understand.

This is always low for any ferret!! 60 and hind end weakness and
drooling!! The pred worked because it WAS insulinoma.

See link below (Bruce Williams site)

http://www.afip.org/ferrets/PDF/insulinoma.pdf

Extract...
Definitive diagnosis of insulinoma is made in the vast majority of
cases by a blood glucose test -- rapid, cost-effective, and gloriously
simple. In cases in which the glucose level is less than 60 g/dl
(normal in the ferret is 80-120 g/dl), the presence of an insulinoma is
assured (even without corroborative evidence of clinical signs. If the
blood glucose reading is between 60 and 80 g/dl, concomitant clinical
signs of hypoglycemia are required to make the diagnosis. In cases
in which the glucose level exceeds 80 mg, other forms of neurologic
diseases should be investigated as well. Remember that insulin
secretion in some tumors is sporadic, and normoglycemia one day may
become hypoglycemia the next.

End extract

Tony (not a vet), Sugar and Suki.
In memory of Sally and  Sue