Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2007 10:24:35 EST
Hi everyone. The holidays are on our doorstep. So is the flu season.
Acho! ( Yes...I am being attacked by germs.) Keep away from me, and
have a lovely Thanksgiving day. :-)

I have carriers in the walk in closet and by the side of my bed with
lovely bedding in both. I place a larger blanket over the carriers
and the ferrets crawl under that to sleep in the dark in the carriers.
So I never have a problem with going away with them in these. I jus
swap out the bedding at the bottom with newspaper and loads of paper
towelling they enjoy making nests in.

On long voyages, put a leash on your baby when you make a pit stop
so your little one can stretch and go potty. I keep clean towels,
newspapers, and bedding and garbage bags in the front seat floor area,
and the carrier is in the passenger seat. They seem to feel better
with a large blanket covering the carrier.

Ferrets are very neat and do not like to have poopies in their
carrier!!! I pull over on longer trips to clean up any excretions and
to place fresh newspapers. The newspapers go in the front. I have gobs
of paper toweling in the back, and a hammock above it all. They like
to nest in the hammock and the paper toweling. I have garbage bags I
place the excretions in. All is stored in one of those baby bags.

I only have one ferret who gnaws at the bars because he wants to be
held. If someone is with me and can just hold him...he snuggles down
for a nap. But the knawing stops in the large carrier I recently
purchased. This carrier is also used as a place for the ferrets to
sleep.

The carriers have been comfort zones for my ferrets. Thus, they do not
have any fear that I see or sense when we travel. Also, the blanket
over it all makes them feel more secure. Watch your temps.

Start car to get it cooled off in summer and warmed up in winter. Have
bottled water and container for them in baby bag in case they need a
drink.

If you act like it is a fun thing...that is what they will think it is.
If you act all panicky and teary eyed going to the vets...the fert may
well pick up on your sadness and stress. I see it with parents passing
their fears on to their children all the time. Be a good ferret mom or
dad. Keep your tension to yourself.

That is all I gots ta possibly help. Drive safely. Don't drink and
drive. The ferts need you.

Lisette