Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 19:33:00 -0400
The Sukie creature has informed me that the word Dook has made it to a
contemporary dictionary

 Subject: the FAQ, and a new kid
 From: Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
 Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1993 14:11:18 -0400

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far about the FAQ I wrote about.
As was explained in the last mailing, there are two others who were,
and maybe still are, making such a list. I also received an "alpha" FAQ
from someone whose name escapes me at the moment (sorry, whoever you
are, and thanks!). I'm sure a coordinated effort will come out of it
all and there'll be at least some sort of FAQ pretty soon. Feel free
to keep sending me your responses!

Well, I did it. Took a 12-hour round trip last Sunday to visit a ferret
farm, and came home with an 8-week-old cinnamon male named Rusty.
Pixxel, the 5-month-old female, seems to tolerate him pretty well: she
sits on him and chews on his ear, and he squeals and wails, but she
lets him up now and again when he wants to get a drink. He seems to
enjoy the battle, since when we let them both loose he runs straight
toward her. We realized Pixxel had a bit of an unfair advantage,
though, since her collar kept him from getting a decent hold on her
neck!

Here's a pair of questions for those of you with more experience with
young kits than we have (Pixxel was 9 or 10 weeks old when we got her,
and acted -much- older than Rusty does: he's still downy and a little
unsteady on his feet):

1) Rusty makes a whimpering, wailing sound almost continuously when
he's in his cage, even while he's eating or playing with his toys. He
does it a bit when he's being held, too. Is this the kit version of the
cluck-dook happy- noise, or is he lonely or bored, or what?

2) He's remarkably well trained: he won't nip at a finger even if you
tempt him with it. (That's a big reason why we went to a farm instead
of the pet store.) The problem is, he also won't lick Ferretone off of
a finger held in front of his nose, so we can't reward him for good
litter habits. Do we just need to give him the Ferretone from a little
bottle, or could we conceivably have a ferret that -doesn't- like
Ferretone?!

Sorry to go on like this, but I'm a new parent again... :-) Thanks
for your help!

- Pam, Pixxel, and Rusty
(oh, and Bob too :)

Wolfy