From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:38:32 -0500
First I want to say that Bob C is a complete wuss when it comes to
being a passenger in my van. Now I know why they put those handles up
above the doors on the passenger side. He held on for dear life and was
green most of the way to MI. I couldn't understand why he kept stomping
on the floor as if there was a brake pedal on his side. When I say he
was a complete baby, picture a grown man in a diaper with a pacifier.
It wasn't pretty. He's still walking home from Grand Rapids. So if you
see a balding, gray haired man by the side of the road holding out a
cardboard sign, don't pick him up. He'll make your trip a living hell
by boring you to death. Aside from that, I admit I love the old man and
would do anything for him.......... and yes, I did drive him back to
my house. I just turned up my IPOD really loud and nodded when he said
something.

I had a great time at the Midwest Fellowship Faire. The vendors were
great. The people were great. The ferrets were beautiful! Dee Gage's
hospitality is always top notch, and I always look forward to seeing
her and the wonderful people she surrounds herself with. I'm humbled by
her kindness. Seeing some good friends like Deb and Mark and Barry and
Kathy was also a treat. I feel so special when I'm there. I met a lot
of new people and I appreciate all of the kind words that came my way.
I finally got to meet Jennifer Deming who was a pleasure to work with
on the 2nd edition of Ferret for Dummies. I only knew her by phone and
e-mail! If you don't know, Jennifer shot the color photos and the cover
for the book. She's such a sweet lady. She was at the show shooting
ferret portraits. She's a real treat, as is her cute little boy Jared.

Of course, it wouldn't have been the Faire had I not come home with an
animal or two. Last year I snuck next door to the bird show and picked
up a bird. My husband still resents me. This year I did what I said I
wouldn't do and snuck over to Dee's house and picked up a couple of DMK
ferrets. Ranger is a big stunning silver ferret about 1 year old. He's
about as sweet as can be and knows his bite limits even during play.
What a lover and cuddler! But he's pretty dominant over other ferrets.
Ranger is in great health and body condition. Golden Boy is about the
same age. He's a big champagne boy, also in great health and body
condition. He's pretty good when you take him out of his cage. He
sometimes takes my wrist or hand in his mouth and bites semi-hard when
I'm holding him, but he doesn't break skin. But, scruff this guy and
you're bound to get your finger taken off! Well, maybe not, but he sure
tries! Playtime is another story. Golden Boy doesn't know his bite
limits during play and will bite very hard. He's difficult to settle
down, and putting him back into his cage after or during play without
getting bitten can be a real challenge. He'll take some time to settle
down and learn acceptable limits, but I have faith he will in no time!
Patience and consistency on my part! Ranger and Golden Boy adore each
other, and playtime is a blast to watch. They never tire. They're
always talking. I love my new little guys. It melts my heart,
especially knowing that just a short time ago they knew no freedom.
Lori has done a truly wonderful thing.

Kim Schilling