Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:15:33 -0400
[2 part post combined]
I was going to stay out of this, but something today prompted me to
jump into the fray. So, here goes.

First, I am not a part of the AFA decision making process, so I can
not comment on why they made the decisions they did. However, later in
this post I will include some information about the various ADV testing
methods, which hopefully will help people understand each test a little
better. The Avecon ELISA test is a very different test from the Avecon
Quik Test, despite the fact they both use saliva.

The AFA has created a fund to help with the cost of spaying and
neutering the ferrets from the DMK rescue. This is a good thing. They
have given people who want to help with this a place where money can
be collected. AFA is a qualified not for profit organization, so money
donated to this fund is tax deductible, which is important to some
people. Further, the AFA has put $500.00 of AFA funds into this pot,
to get it started.

As others have pointed out, this is the AFA's fund, and the initial
donation is AFA's money. They have a right to put whatever standards
or restrictions they want on this money. My personal opinion is, the
AFA should not be expected to lower their standards. However, I also
understand that not everyone will agree with that.

For the people that do not like the standards the AFA has imposed on
the AFA fund, instead of arguing about it, just donate your money to a
different fund. There are a number of choices, and at least one of them
should appeal some of you, even if none of them appeal to all of you.

People who want to give money without restrictions can donate it
directly to Lori, or send money to her vet and specify it is for the
DMK ferrets. Or, you can give money to one of the shelters receiving
ferrets from the rescue, or to that shelter's vet. Or, if you are not
sure where the money is needed the most, or want your money to help
several shelters, you can donate to SOS or the the IFC ELF Fund. Both
SOS and the IFC are also qualifying not for profit organizations. And
both SOS and the IFC are also involved in trying to raise money to
help with this situation.

So, instead of arguing over whether or not the AFA should put
restrictions on who gets money from the AFA fund - just donate
somewhere else if the standards are that bothersome to you. The AFA
did not have to get involved, but chose to do so. For that, they
should be thanked, not criticized.

There are probably some shelters that will not qualify for money from
the AFA fund.  But there are certainly some shelters that will.  So,
money that goes to the AFA fund will help some of the ferrets, and
with the size and scope of this effort, I doubt that there is going
to be money left unused.

[Part 2]

Now, about the various testing methods...

I will start by saying that no test is 100% accurate - none. That is
why people are encouraged to test their ferrets for ADV more then once.
Some tests are more accurate then others, but all of the tests that are
currently available are fairly accurate. Each method of testing has its
own set of pros and cons.

The Quik Test is likely the least accurate of the testing methods.
Because it is done at home, it is subject to error by the person
running the test. As ferret owners and shelters, we receive no training
on how to run the test, and while it is a simple test to run, there
are ways to make errors and throw off the results. To get an accurate
reading requires following the directions carefully. It also requires
ensuring that the kit is not past its expiration date - a mistake that
some have made in the past. A test kit that has past the expiration
date may not give an accurate result. Finally - it is the test that is
most easily falsified. There is no paper trail to ensure the test was
even run. This last item is possibly the main reason the AFA is not
accepting it. While records from other testing methods can also be
faked, it is much more difficult to do so.

The send away tests we normally associate with ADV are PCR, ELISA and
CIEP (or CEP). Each of these tests refers to a testing technique,
though, and can be run to test for a number of things - not just ADV.

The PCR test, or polymerase chain reaction is the one test that checks
for the actual virus. The PCR test can be used to detect any kind of
DNA in a sample, and yields a simple positive or negative result. The
PCR is not used only for ADV, and in fact, there are now PCR tests for
AIDS that are commercially available.

The PCR test for ADV is usually run on a fluid sample (urine, blood,
saliva or feces). A negative PCR test does not mean that a ferret
does not have ADV; just that it was not present in their fluids.

With ADV, often the virus settles in the organs. When this happens,
the ferret is not in a contagious state, because unless his organs
are eaten by another animal, there is no way for the virus to move to
another animal.

But sometimes, in some ferrets, the virus moves into the bodily fluids,
and can then be transmitted through the fluids to other ferrets. When a
ferret's blood, saliva, feces or urine tests positive with a PCR test,
then that ferret can transmit ADV to other animals.

The PCR test could be very useful to ferret owners if it could be run
in their vet's office, because it would let them know if a ferret that
was ADV+ was contagious at that moment in time. Unfortunately, it is
unlikely this will happen in the near future. To run it requires very
expensive equipment, and a highly trained technician who is familiar
with the procedure. Some of the commercial labs may decide to offer the
test, but since there would be a lag time in getting the results, it
may lose some of its meaning. The test would only tell you what was
occurring at the time the sample was taken, and while it is unlikely
the status changes rapidly (like overnight), it is possible. So, the
PCR test is something that is more useful from just the research
standpoint.

It is important to remember that a negative PCR test does not mean a
ferret does not have ADV, just that the virus is not present in the
fluids at that time. A positive result is a conclusive proof that the
ferret has ADV, though.

For anyone interested in learning more about PCR testing, Wikipedia
has a good write up on the technology and history of the test. Reading
through their explanation of it may help you understand more about what
results of this test mean.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerase_chain_reaction

The CEP or CIEP test (Counterimmuneoelectrophoresis) is an antibody
test. It tests for the presence of the proteins that the body makes to
fight off an infection. A positive result from a CEP test means that
specific antibodies are present in the blood. Although this can mean
just that the body was exposed to the virus, my experience with ADV has
been that a positive antibody test means the ferret actually has ADV.
Certainly, if there are multiple positive test results over a period
of time, that shows infection. Antibodies eventually break down, and
so if they are present in the blood over a period of months, it means
infection rather then just exposure.

Again, Wikipedia has an explanation of the test, and how it is run.
Unfortunately, their explanation is not as thorough as their
explanation of PCR testing, though.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_electrophoresis

There is an interactive flash video that I found on the web that
explains how an electrophoresis test is run and what it means. It takes
a few minutes to go through it, but it explains things in easy to
understand terms, and is even a little fun. Here is a link for anyone
who is interested.
 http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/units/biotech/gel/

An ELISA test, or Enzyme-Linked ImmunoSorbent Assay, is another test
that can be run to detect either the presence of antibodies or antigen
(the actual virus).  The ADV ELISA test that Avecon offers is an
antibody test.

The following general explanation of how an ELISA test is performed is
taken from Wikipedia.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELISA

>In simple terms, in ELISA an unknown amount of antigen is affixed to
>a surface, and then a specific antibody is washed over the surface so
>that it can bind the antigen. This antibody is linked to an enzyme,
>and in the final step a substance is added that the enzyme can convert
>to some detectable signal. Thus in the case of flourescence ELISA, when
>light is shone upon the sample, any antigen/antibody complexes will
>fluoresce so that the amount of antigen in the sample can be measured.

In addition to the above, Wikipedia also offers a step by step
explanation of how the test is run. However, I think you can see that
this is far more complicated then the Quik Test, and involves much
more complex equipment.
--
Danee DeVore
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator