Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:47:04 -0400
Hi everyone,

Rocky and I just came from the vet. Rocky has been on prednisolone
since May (now .25ml twice a day) and Diazoxide since Aug. (.2ml twice
a day). He sleeps most of the time, though he sometimes have good days.
I have to wake him up to eat, though once he gets little taste or
smell of the food, he usually comes running. Many mornings he chases
my feet on the bed while he's inside the duvet cover. He still puts his
sockballs where they belong if I move them, and takes his best friend,
a spider beanie baby, and a couple of his other kithood friends to his
sleeping spots.

But he slides around sometimes on his rear legs when the floor he's
slippery. I have solved the sliding on his newspapers by putting a
paper towel on top. This makes both of our lives easier. **Thank you
to the ferret association who recommended that for older ferrets. I
think it was CT but could have been OH or FL.

At the vet, I mentioned my concerns about adrenal disease because of
some thinning fur in certain areas, so an ultrasound was done on his
abdomen. The good news is the adrenals and liver looked ok. [Previous
tests showed his heart and lymph nodes were ok also.] She said there
were two nodules on the pancreas and recommended surgery.

I don't know what to do. I am most concerned about the risk and pain
for Rocky. My goal is not to have him live as long as possible to "buy
time" because I can't let go, but for him to have a good quality of
life however longer he lasts. His life is not for me; it is for him.
I wish he could tell me what he would do.

The vet told me with surgery he could live 6mo-2yrs; without, 1 year.
If this were a cure for insulinoma, I'd be more likely to take the
chance. But we all know it is not a cure. And he'll end up just as
he is now--back on meds and not doing so well.

Then there's the cost. The cost of surgery and hospitalization is
$2,000 ($1,000 each). I have already spent over $2,000 in the past
6 months just on exams, tests, ultrasounds, etc.

Rocky is now 6 yrs &8 mos. old and the vet thinks he's a good candidate
for surgery. They use a surgeon who only does surgery (for other
practices as well) and is supposed to be very good. But I've heard so
many stories of younger ferrets coming through surgery fine and dying
a few hours later.

Please share your experiences with me regarding surgery vs. meds for
insulinoma, quality of life afterward and lifespan.

Thanks so much. You've all been so great to me over the years sharing
your advice, knowledge and support.

Shron & Rocky

P.S.  That video of the Russian sables was the best YouTube video
I've ever seen!!! But it made me cry to think that people make vanity
coats out of these wonderful creatures.