From:
Ophelia Hardin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 03:25:27 -0700
>And if they make you feel guilty afterwards, they just remember
>that's what pets and kids do best - make us feel guilty. :-)

So essentially my little fuzzbutts are surrogate Jewish Mothers? Oy
vey... What did I do to deserve this? <g>

Thanks for all the supportive and emphatic replies both yeah and nay
both on and off the list. As I was rather begging the question with the
term anthropomorphic, I feel a little better knowing, as one person put
it, "they're lab animals, ferchrissakes" and when my needs come first I
shan't feel any guilt letting them wallow in the hazardous and deprived
environs of a 3 storey Marshall Mansion for a day, or even two.

>Ferrets need MORE than 2 or 3 hours during which they can exercise
>each day -- preferably a good deal more, though if you really throw
>yourself into helping them stay active it MIGHT be possible to make
>3 hours work okay (that is a hopeful statement).

My mom worked in a lab during the 50's when they were testing Polio
vaccines on ferrets. As much as she loved to feed and care for them in
their tiny little cages (that was her job) she realized they served the
hoomans first. Mine still do, and I don't pretend I have more care for
them than I do my fellow hoomans, including myself. To do otherwise
seems a displacement of priorities, don't you think?

>Have places they can go to for relaxation between play bouts: dark
>sleeping boxes

An excellent suggestion, as I just got them a 25' dryer tube and
think they need cubby-holes and hidey-boxes built in between the total
length. I have some shoeboxes saved up and will use the old drain-pipe
downspout technique and make them some.

Just a reminder, as much to myself as anyone else: call 513-941-3343
and donate $13.00 and change for a 40 Lb bag of Cell-Sorb to the DMK
rescue operation.

Regards,