Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:39:02 -0400
I posted yesterday about a little girl who had requested permission
from her school to hold a Penny War to benefit the DMK Rescue. Well,
she called me last night to say that the Director of the school denied
her permission to hold a fundraiser for the ferrets. The reasons for
not giving permission were vague to say the least and contrary to the
long email I sent to the director describing the situation in Ohio.
Then, to top off her disappointment, she was told by her sewing teacher
that she and two other students could no longer sew hammies for the
ferrets in sewing class. Reason - the sewing instructor did not know
where the hammies were going when they were completed (which was also
described in the email to the director.) This little girl was so
frustrated that she almost received a detention for "freshness".

When she called me last night with the news, I explained to her that
she will find that raising money for ferrets has typically been more
difficult due to the lack of understanding by most people of the
domestic ferret and the role it plays with its humans.

However, she is going to place cans in local stores (her mother's
beauty shop included) to raise money. She sometimes reminds me of a
little bull terrier in her enthusiasm and passion for the fuzzies.

She is now more dedicated than ever to educate others about ferrets
and their relationship with their humans.

I am very proud of her for her tenacity and spunk.

Phyllis Spy
President, MaFF