From:
Tressie Dutchyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2007 08:41:26 -0300
Shron,

>Is it ok to give a ferret a homepathic supplement with grain alcohol
>in it?"

NO - it is not okay! A homeopathic veterinarian would make up the
remedy for you.

However, if you are going to do it yourself - you will need to get
the pellet form and make up your own solution.

If using more than one remedy you have to make a separate dropper
bottle for each. Here's what you do:

Get a 1 oz. brown glass dropper bottle. Rinse well with hot water. Fill
2/3 full with distilled/spring water. Drop in 5 homeopathic pellets.
Important not to touch them or you'll neutralize them. Drop them into
the lid and from the lid directly into the bottle.

Let them sit until they dissolve - this may take a couple of hours.
Once they are dissolved 'succuss' the bottle, that is, pound it onto
the flat of your palm to shake it up. About 10 pounds should do it.
Remember to succuss it each time before using it.

Give your pet/fuzzy about a third-half a dropper full. If they won't
take it directly - mix it into a bit of their favourite treat. I put
a couple drops of Ferretone on a plate and squirt the remedy into
the Ferretone - no problem giving it! Try and give it 1/2 hour before
meal - IF POSSIBLE.

Homeopaths suggest that remedies be used as follows: Take one dose
and wait for a response. If improvement is seen, continue to wait and
let the remedy work. If improvement lags significantly or has clearly
stopped, another dose may be taken. The frequency of dosage varies with
the condition and the individual. Sometimes a dose may be required
several times an hour; other times a dose may be indicated several
times a day; and in some situations, one dose per day (or less), or
only one dose can be sufficient.

If no response is seen within 3 days - select a different remedy. Super
important to STOP giving it if you see any improvement. Remedies are
long-acting working over several weeks to promote healing, although if
you have the right remedy there should be immediate relief.

Very important not to store remedies within a yard of ANY electronic
equipment (e.g., clock radios, tv, cell phones, etc.) or they'll be
neutralized and will be useless. I store mine in my bedroom wardrobe.

Best to consult with a homeopathic veterinarian to get the right remedy
for your fuzzy at the right dose.

A couple of brief, easy to understand articles written by homeopathic
veterinarians that give a succinct overview of veterinary homeopathy
can be found at:

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-homeo.html

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-homeo2.htm

"Has anyone ever heard of or used an Azmira product called "Panc'rse
andGlucobalance"? ... so now I'm afraid to give it to him. ..."

Never heard of it! If your intuitive red flags are up - I would pay
attention and not give it.

Here is a link to the Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy that lists
homeopathic veterinarians throughout North America - enter your
information i.e., state/province, type of pet etc. into the fields -
and it will give you a list of vets in your area:

http://www.theavh.org/referral/index.php

Tressie A. Dutchyn, MA
ID PhD student, Dalhousie University
Research Associate

Atlantic Interdisciplinary Research Network
for Social & Behavioral Issues in Hepatitis C & HIV/AIDS
Department of Community Health & Epidemiology
Dalhousie University, Faculty of Medicine