Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2007 07:41:34 -0300
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to communicate w/him? He
>bites sometimes really hard and I give him a one finger tap, tap on
>the nose and instinctively say "NO", but I know he can't hear me

Sounds like Simon may be an alpha (dominant Duke) and that may have
more to do with his aggressive behaviour and penchant for biting,
than his deafness. I would suggest the scruff and drag method to get
the message across. Its what Momma would have done. When he bites you
or anyone else, grab him firmly by the scruff and drag him a short
distance across the floor while giving him a 'MILD' shake. That will
get his attention. He'll either get the message right away or will test
to see if you really mean it, by turning around and trying to bite you.
Then you put him in time out immediately, that is, confine him to his
cage ALONE and ignore him completely. Let him out again only if he's
settled down. If he's biting at the cage or frantically running around
in there - IGNORE HIM, don't even glance at him.

When out if he aims for Alexander again - repeat the scruff and drag.
Isolate again if necessary. Repeat as often as you need to. He will
eventually learn to be more submissive to your dominance. You've gotta
be the maternal alpha (top Mama ferret) and he needs to understand what
it is you want from him.

I know some people do use the 'tap on nose' as a discipline, but all it
really does is teach the ferret to be afraid of your hands, which will
only create a fear bite response. He's not likely enjoying to cuddle
and squirming to get away from those hands that might reach out and tap
his nose.

If you consider that he can't hear then his other senses will be more
acute, especially the sense of touch. Touching should be associated
with loving. In terms of the scruff and drag, that is what mother would
have done, so its not inconsistent with loving touch. Its communicating
to him in the language of ferrets, which he will understand.

Good luck and let us know how Simon does.

Tressie A. Dutchyn, MA
ID PhD student, Dalhousie University

Research Associate
Atlantic Interdisciplinary Research Network for Social & Behavioral
Issues Hepatitis C & HIV/AIDS
Department of Community Health & Epidemiology
Faculty of Medicine
Dalhousie University