From:
Laryssa Nyland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 06:42:14 -0700
Hi everyone...

I know I've not been everyone's favorite person, what with my
investigative side and all. But, if one can look past that, *ahem*...

I was thinking of starting a Ferret Digest. I know, laugh at me, and
point out that the other Ferret magazine that tried to go it alone
only went for 33 issues, I think. Modern Ferret, right?

But I've found a publisher that would enable me to break even,
depending on the number of subscribers. My problem (and obviously
main) issue is this: public support, or rather, community support.

Depending on how many people actually think this would be something
they'd be interested in reading, I'll make up a website for submissions
for different articles, photo sections, poetry, anything you want to
submit. The idea is (again, more subscriptions will equal more frequent
publishing) a current magazine that has a bit more to do with our
online communities and discussions, with more in-depth stories and
articles, that tend to range away from the classic "how to's" and get
down to the nitty-gritty. Of course, some how-to's will be great, but
overall I'd like it to encompass more about what the ferret community
is as a whole - and be more current.

In that community sense, as long as subscriptions were enough to
support, which would be the only way this could go - free advertising
for anyone online in the communities. Of course corporate sponsors
(like for example very large companies, not people like Ferret Flyer
makers or anything...I'm talking, like, pet food manufacturers)
would/should pay for space, but I am going on and on.

Basically - I am wondering if there is anyone like me who wishes there
was kind of a "readers digest" about ferrets, and how many there are.
Don't get me wrong I do like Ferrets mag - but I read it in about half
an hour, and then that's it. I read it again a few more times and wish
there were more.

If this isn't within FML guidelines, I can definitely understand - but
I also didn't want to just jump into this blindly. There would have to
be people willing to have items put in the magazine, articles, stories,
participate in polls, etc. I have way too many ideas/sections to go
into in this post but if there's enough interest I'll make an online
site with more info.

Can you tell I have had a little free time thinking too much inbetween
jobs?

Anyway, have a happy Halloween and if anyone from the fires is in the
Bay Area (they said a lot of people moved up here temporarily on the
news), I can do some fuzzy sitting if you need...

Laryssa