Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:47:55 -0400
Last Tuesday I pulled into the local SPCA with a load of ferrets - I
wasn't exactly sure how many because I had not done a real good job
of counting as the volunteers (Debby & Gary O. of TX and Butch) helped
me load the car! I did know that I was one ferret short of the number
I started with because of a 2:00 am stop in the parking lop of a
Pittsburgh parking lot to drop a lovely sable at his new mama. That is
a truly great moment, too. Let me tell you how it happened. On Sunday,
Dr. Ruth Heller and a friend came to Lori's to pick up a few ferrets.
Susan, the friend, was looking for ONE. As we walked around the room,
looking for just the right one, I opened the cage door of a boy I
thought would fill the bill. I had been staying at the site for a
week and was familiar with looks and personalities by now. Well, as I
opened the door, this boy literally jumped out of the cage and into
my arms. He KNEW she was his mama and could not wait to get to her. He
practically climbed over me to get to her. To make a long story short,
she chose someone else.

The next day, as I am preparing to leave, I get a phone call. It is
rather sketchy, because the only people who really understand it are
the person making the initial request and myself. It goes something
like this: Renee, do you remember yesterday when someone came over with
Dr. Heller and was looking at ferrets? There was a boy that she looked
at (uh, yeah, like 50!) - a sable. She said he had a ski-slope nose and
jumped out of the cage when you opened the door. (Oh, I didn't need
this info. I KNEW who she meant as soon as I heard who was calling.)
Do you remember? (Yup, I know exactly which ferret she means. Now,
we moved cages around while cleaning the floor, so where was he now?
Hmmm...)

As I started walking through and looking in the cages, I became a
little concerned. Where had he gone? I knew he had not been adopted
out. Where could he be? Ahhh, there he is. Just waiting for me. I
placed him in a carrier and flagged it for Susan. He was so good and
patiently awaited his new mama. I loaded him into the car in the
middle of all those carriers.

Six hours later - after a couple of breaks and a long drive - I pulled
up into the McD's lot, with Susan right behind me. I set up a playpen
(I just do NOT open carriers without a way to keep the ferrets from
escaping), put the carrier in the pen and opened the door. Out he came.
I picked him up and got a few cuddles before handing him over. Oh, he
knew he was home. Susan had set up a cage for him in her SUV and she
opened the back now to reveal his new digs for the rest of the trip. I
got a final pat as she showed him the door. He literally scrambled into
the cage and curled up in his new hammy. I swear he had a smile on his
face!

:)
Renee Downs
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the
credit!
"The most effective way to do it, is to do it." Amelia Earhart
Ferret Emergency Response, Rescue & Evacuation Team (F.E.R.R.E.T.)
http://www.ferretemergency.org
International Ferret Congress
http://www.ferretcongress.org
American Red Cross