Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 03:59:23 -0700
Sampson, a DMK ferret, is a 2 to 3 year old golden boy with a nasty
infection under his eye and missing a few toes. Those of you who have
seen my Powerpoint presentations know I generally start them with a
photo of Stella and Tui; Sampson looks so much like Tui that it flips
my heart into the back of my throat. My admiration for the work done
for these ferrets by Lori made the transfer of ownership all the more
emotional and humbling.

Sampson is missing a few toes, but from the state of healing, I would
guess the injury occurred when young, possibly by a stressed mother
or a cage accident. He has an infection under his right eye that is
thought to have been caused by a bite from a cage mate. He has some
dental wear that suggests prolonged cage biting, and some minor
gingivitis. His muscular condition and weight are as good or better
than I have seen in many ferrets.

Don't misunderstand that last statement. The muscualr condition of
an animal is in no way or form evidence of proper care (well cared
for animals can have poor condition from disease, and poorly cared
for animals can have remarkably good condition). Sampson's physical
condition masks his mental state, which I consider evidence of a lack
of human socialization, and perhaps a prolonged lack of mental health.
He is extremely fearful of handling, easily frightened, cowers and
hides, walks next to walls or under objects, and will not play bite
me. It breaks my heart to see him shy away from people. He just does
not act like a normal ferret. It is clear to me that -- regardless of
the cost and difficultly -- this rescue was justified and ethically
important.

You can therefore understand how I felt yesterday when Sampson came out
of a nesting box and gently sniffed at my hands and feet. Later, he war
danced and bounced on the floor, running after a stinky ball of paper.
It took a single day to get him hooked on Bob's Chicken Gravy, and last
night I got him to chew on a raw chicken wing. Next week? Frozen mice
and raw chicken necks! Once he trusts me as a friend, he gets to learn
about the great outdoors (and leashes). I eagerly await the day he
plays with my hand and is not afraid to play-bite.

Except for car travel, Sampson will never be caged again. He will
live in an open environment with other ferrets that do not cause
him excessive stress. He will have nesting boxes so he can hide or
sleep with security. His environment will be clean, but messy and
interesting. He will be enriched every day. He will get to learn dirt
is fun to dig and grass is fun to sniff. He will eat high quality
natural foods his body and physiology evolved to consume. He will get
to make some of his own decisions. He will see a vet regularly. His
teeth will be brushed and cleaned. He will always be handled with a
gentle hand. He will never have to live in a different home. He will
be played with and handled and wrestled and loved. When his day comes
to cross the bridge, it will be in the gentle company of friends, and
he will be greatly mourned.

Lori has greatly honored me by trusting me enough to care for this
sweet golden boy. Thank you so much!

Bob C [log in to unmask]