Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:57:23 -0400
Idid not realize that the AHS and HSUS were not the same. I was so
ticked off about the HSUS not helping in the Ohio situation that I
emailed AHS about their "big rig" and asked why they were not there to
help. I got a very nice friendly response stating that they were not
the same societies and thanked me for my compassion and concern for
ferrets. She also said that ferrets are indeed pets and often are not
given the same consideration as cats and dogs in our society. My email
was the very first that the AHS had heard about the Ohio situation! She
also stated that often they ( American Humane Society) AHS are confused
with the Humane Society of the US (HSUS). They are two completely
different organizations.

It was also stated that as for the "Big Rig Rescue Truck" they are
commited to rescuing animals in disaster and emergency situations but
are allowed to work only when a local minicipality, county or state
offical, grants them permission to deploy. They work entirely within
the parameters of a bona fide request for assistance from legal
authorities having jurisdiction for that event. No request for help
was received by the American Humane organization.

This person was very sorry to hear about this situation in Ohio and
commened the ferret community for their compassion and action in this
instance! and that people like us make the biggest difference in the
lives of animals in our communities!

Maybe we can keep this in mind should there be another huge type rescue
or help needed for ferrets.

I would also like to extend our sympathy towards those who have lost
their precious babies recently. I know how devastating a loss can be
and also know that only time can ease that pain though some touch your
heart a bit more and grieving can last a lifetime it seems. Please know
that many people share your sorrow and though we may not contact you
individually, we read your heartbreaking posts and feel your sorrow
through your posts. May God ease your pain and friends help you with
your sorrow. Our sincerest sympathies to all.

We also hope all ferrets going in for surgeries recover better than
ever and the wait for that phone call to hear the news is good.

Eleanor, Donald and the 10 happy spoiled ferrets