Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:15:30 -0400
From:
just finished reading Karen Pryor's Don't Shoot the Dog, which isn't so
much a book on training dogs as a text on reinforcement based training
and operant conditioning. if you are looking for something that will
tell you exactly what to do, this book is not for you. but if you are
happy with something that will give you theory you can put into
practice, then I highly recommend it. I really really enjoyed it and
have already started applying some of the techniques to my boyfriend
(with encouraging results). the ultimate goal, of course, is to get
my ferrets trained a little, to be better at walking, maybe to dig on
command, but most importantly to learn their names!

an article on training ferrets from Pryor's website (not written by her)
       http://www.clickertraining.com/node/839

I know there are people who have clicked trained their ferrets.  just
wondering if you have to isolate each ferret you are trying to train,
or if it can work in a group environment.

another thing I'm wondering is if anyone has tried a Buster Food Cube
       http://clickerpets.stores.yahoo.net/noname.html
it looks sort of interesting, and more difficult than the conventional
treat balls that drops stuff way too often. thinking of picking up one.

as I was writing this, Sorin started walking towards the door, and I
know he was about to go poop on the floor. I spun around to look at
him, he stopped, stared at me for a while, and then finally turn
around and headed towards the litter box, where he pooped. I gave him
a treat.. I had been giving them treats whenever I see them go in the
box, trying to get them litter trained.. the floor's still a mess most
of the time though... but they know... (but do they know i know they
know?) my boyfriend thinks the ferrets have got us trained so that when
they go near the door, we run to pick them up and put them in a box,
where they poop and get a treat..

Selina, Clef, Popcorn, Sorin, Mochi, Jolt & Cola