Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:11:05 -0400
Below is a more complete write up on FERRETS: THE PURSUIT OF
EXCELLENCE. It's also available on Heart of Ohio Ferret Association's
web page at www.HOFA-Rescue.org and American Ferret Associations
website. www.ferret.org.

We are all pretty excited about the upcoming show. The Ferret Buckeye
Bash is featured and many of the people you hear from on FML also.

For those that can't make it to a ferret show.. it gives you a birds
eye view. Hopefully more people will want to come out to the Ferret
Buckeye Bash 07 coming up Aug. 25th in Columbus!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:00-9:00 p.m. ET

Acclaimed Documentary Filmmaker Mark Lewis ("The Natural History of the
Chicken") Offers a Glimpse Into the World of the Quirkiest Show Animal
Around

FERRETS: THE PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE is an endearing and amusing
celebration of America's most playful, mischievous pets - not to
mention their distinctive owners. At the annual Ferret Buckeye Bash
in Columbus, Ohio - the largest and most popular ferret show in the
country - hundreds of top breeders, seasoned experts and ferret
enthusiasts pamper and parade their pets in a quest for prizes and
prestige. Mark Lewis' FERRETS airs Wednesday, July 18, 2007,
8:00-9:00 p.m. ET on PBS.

FERRETS offers a quirky contrast to the common animal show. These
curious creatures lack the regal air of show cats or the respectable
nature of pedigreed dogs, yet they are trained, pampered and primed in
the serious hope of taking the top prize in the biggest ferret show in
the country. "I call it 'trophy high' when I win," says owner and judge
Kerry Fabrizio. "So, you're just flying high. I mean, there's nothing
that can touch it as far as I'm concerned. It's addictive."

FERRETS introduces each of the contenders as they prepare their prized
ferrets for the upcoming competition and uncovers the delightfully
eccentric world of these unusual pets. Described as "fun on four legs"
by their human companions, these ferrets try to steal the show with
their playful antics. Yet their owners are not to be outdone. "If I
went to my psychiatrist and said, 'Yes, I understand what my ferrets
are saying,' I'd be on little funny-colored pills," admits ferret
fancier Barb Carlson, "but you do understand."

At the Buckeye Bash, tension is high as judges cast critical eyes
over the bone structure, muscle mass and temperament of each furry
contender. The competition challenges the champions and the newcomers,
the hobs (guys) and the jills (gals), the Albinos and the Cinnamon
Points, all in pursuit of trophies and ribbons for their passionate
owners. The tiny competitors, however, don't get what all the fuss
is about: they're too busy creating mayhem when no one's watching.

THE PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE, a series of four one-hour films, celebrates
the ambition, determination and passion of those who pursue distinction
in slightly unconventional fields. Each film showcases the training
and preparation required to be competitive and reveals the surprising,
and sometimes heartbreaking, results of that dedication. The featured
characters, diverse in background, are endearing and sympathetic,
people consumed by their individual quests for excellence. Other
programs in the series include SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING (7/11), HAIRWORLD
(7/25) and LORDS OF THE GOURD (fall 2007).

Filmmaker Mark Lewis' THE NATURAL HISTORY OF THE CHICKEN was screened
in competition at Sundance and was named by The New York Times one of
the top 10 television programs for 2001. Lewis won two Emmys for the
film: Outstanding Science Program and Outstanding Direction.

Scarlett

Heart of Ohio Ferret Assoc. & Rescue
www.HOFA-RESCUE.org
FERRET BUCKEYE BASH 2007