Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:42:31 -0400
I still haven't found a vet I really trust who has a lot of ferret
experience in New York City (Manhattan).

Does anyone out there know someone who really knows ferrets? It is
pretty obvious to me from observing Rocky and reading about causes of
hind-leg weakness that he has the beginnings of insulinoma. Yet because
he hasn't really shown much hind-leg weakness when I've been at the two
different vets, I'm not getting any discussion of treatment. While I
liked the second vet and he has more experience than the first (who
just seemed to think I'm neurotic even though he has ferrets), when I
told him that I gave Rocky a few pieces of food on the way up, he never
said that would throw off the glucose and I should repeat the test as
soon as possible. Also, he said the only causes of hind-leg weakness
are insulinoma and Aleutians Disease, and I have read about other
causes. In addition, his office is difficult to get to.

It seems very difficult to find someone who sees many ferrets because
of the ban imposed in 1999. And most of the exotic vets here seem to
be bird people. I don't know what to do. Every time I think I've found
someone good, I later think about what they said and they seem to know
less than I do about ferret diseases. And those who are experienced
don't seem to be available throughout the week.

If anyone can help, please email me.

BTW, what is the preferable treatment in terms of life span and quality
of life: Surgery or medication? Rocky is 6 and doesn't seem to have any
other health problems.