Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:55:02 -0400
"I've got a ferret sticking up my nose." I can't hear those words
without thinking of British comedian John Cleese. And, Dr. Susan Brown
also gets a big kick out of the man. "I love all his comedic work and
he is an interesting and brilliant man. I love comedians!" This woman
is going to be a blast! And, she may be able to help him with this
misplaced ferret! Or even the mandrill, the crocodile . . .

Dr. Brown has been interested in exotic pets since she was a child. A
1976 graduate of The University of Illinois, she and her husband, along
with partner Dr. Scott McDonald, realized their vision of an exclusive
avian and exotic animal practice with the 1986 opening of the Midwest
Bird & Exotic Animal Hospital. The hospital was the first of its kind
in the U.S. to treat avian and exotic animals exclusively. A recent
expansion has also made it the largest.

Her first ferret, Guido, came to live with her in 1980, when a client
surrendered him. "Ferrets were my first more intensive 'special
interest' because back in the 80's there were rarely Vets that knew
much about them or how to treat them. Being an exotic animal vet was
for me a way to advocate for animals that are frequently overlooked or
not always treated with the level of dedication they deserve in the
veterinary community." And, advocate she does. When asked about her
most memorable ferret experience, Dr. Brown had difficulty narrowing
this down. Why? Well, in her words, "Wow, I have seen/handled over 3000
ferrets and so it is hard to answer this one."

And, when I learned that Dr. Brown was married to former Chicago Cubs
player Richard Nye, I almost forgot to ask about anything else. When
she said he was also "a wonderful man" AND an exotic animal
veterinarian, well, let's just say that I can't wait to meet them!
They managed to spend a life and a dream together, in the process
raising two "funny and intelligent sons."

Dr. Brown reports that her life is full of memorable experiences of all
kinds. For fun and relaxation she fessed up to gardening, playing with
her various animals, or just watching them interact. Additionally, she
does therapy dog work and felting - "I think that is enough," she said.
However, this hardworking vet, who points out, "I was SUPPOSED to be
retired at this time...but just couldn't let it go!" recently
incorporated her newest venture, Rosehaven Exotic Animal Veterinary
Services. You may e-mail her there at [log in to unmask] And,
should the good doctor need something more, both sons are in the film
industry - one a cinematographer, the other a writer and film editor.

Dr. Brown would like to be remembered "mostly as a good person who did
her best to provide empathetic and useful service to the community of
both human and nonhumans alike." I know I can't wait to see her in
Portland. Join us and learn more about the fun-loving vet who has
contributed so much to our knowledge of ferrets!

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the