From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 00:33:17 -0400
Hi everyone, I have a question in regards to how different shelters
tend to vary on their opinions on throwing fundraisers where the guests
are allowed to bring their own ferrets.

-Now, I know about ADV. Some shelters dont seem to take ADV as a
threat. They say it isnt in our area. Ok, that may be true, but how do
they know that Guest A and their ferret didnt just move from an area
that had a high rate of ADV, and that this Guest tested/or didnt test
for ADV? And now quite possibly, that ferret has it, spread it, and now
POOF, we *do* have it "in our area"?? Why do some shelters take ADV
seriously, and others dont?

-Why do some shelters ask for proof of vaccinations and others do not?
I have been told by a shelter that doesnt ask for proof, that people
can easily switch paperwork between ferrets, and that basically if they
bring unvaccinated ferrets that they are doing so at their ferrets' own
risk. Yea, I guess, basically thats all true... but... something seems,
well, not quite right about that.

-And assuming that my ferrets are vaccinated for rabies and distemper
(they are), what else besides ADV (yea I know, like that in itself isnt
enough) would I be risking by exposing my ferrets to other ferrets?

I'm posting anonymously as I dont want to get into which shelter said
what. I just thought these are pretty important questions and will
open a dialogue and may get others to rethink things too.

Thanks,
-A Concerned Ferret Mommy