From:
Dee gage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:49:01 -0700
NOTE: I was privileged to participate in this event last year. Ferrets
from the West Michigan Ferret Connection travelled to Westland as
goodwill ambassadors ans were well-received. These Summer Camps are
wonderful because you're introducing ferrets to kids who are animal
lovers to begin with. I used information from Angela Espinet's website:
<http://www.craftycreatures.com/forferretsonly/ferret_school/ferret_school.html>
specifically All About Ferrets and the History of Ferrets. (I cannot
thank Angela enough for allowing me to use her material) I added
pictures from Ferret Art History. The kids ate it up. (Now there's an
idea ..... I could bake ferret cookies!!!!!! Better yet, I need to find
someone who likes to bake ferret cookies!!!) Kim and her assistants
used this information to ask them questions during their road trip
to Michigan State University later in the week and she was amazed how
much they had retained. Of course, the highlight is when they get to
handle the ferrets.

This year I am doing 7 weeks, going in on Thursdays.

Please read the Press Release below.

Dee Gage
owner/operator, West Michigan Ferret Connection
co-founder, acting president, Midwest Ferret Fellowship
member, State of Michigan Dept. of Ag Companion Animal Advisory
Committee

  ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

MHS offers Summer Tails day camps

It's back by popular demand. The Michigan Humane Society's Summer Tails
Day Camp is returning for a second season with seven one-week sessions
at its three animal care centers.

Summer Tails Day Camp is a week-long camp offering hands-on,
interactive animal learning experience for children ages 7-13. The
camps will meet 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday and offered
the weeks of June 25, July 16 and July 23 at the Berman adoption center
in Westland, the weeks of July 30 and Aug. 6 at the Detroit adoption
center and the weeks of Aug., 20 and 27 at the Rochester Hills adoption
center.

Summer Tails Day Camp is age-appropriate, with program materials suited
to learning styles and maturity level. The program is open to "Junior
Paw Pals," (children ages 7-8), "Paw Pals," (ages 9-11) and "Senior Paw
Pals," (ages 12-13). "Summer Tails offers kids with a love for animals
the opportunity to experience animal welfare first-hand," says Kimberly
Korona, community humane initiatives coordinator at the Michigan Humane
Society. "Kids are immersed in a week-long session of fun and
educational activates teaching humane values toward animals and
people." To provide the optimal learning experience for each "Paw Pal,"
MHS has collaborated with other animal welfare organizations to expand
and enhance knowledge of animal issues, humane training techniques and
veterinary medicine. Children will learn about ferrets from members of
the Midwest Fellowship, and may even get a visit with one of the stars
of the Animal Planet series, "ANIMAL COPS: DETROIT." And, of course,
everyone will spend plenty of quality time with the animals at MHS.
"Respect and compassion for animals is a critical component of any
well rounded educational program," added Korona. "Summer Tails makes
learning a fun and interactive experience."

A scholarship program is available to ensure Summer Tails Day Camp is
available for all children interested in attending. Registration and
scholarship forms are available at all three MHS locations --7401
Chrysler Dr. in Detroit; 3600 W. Auburn Road in Rochester Hills and
900 N. Newburgh in Westland.

For more information about Summer Tails Day Camp, visit the MHS Web
site at www.michiganhumane.org, or contact Kimberly Korona at
(248) 799-7400, Ext. 127 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask]

The Michigan Humane Society is a private, nonprofit organization which
cares for more than 100,000 animals each year at its three metro
Detroit adoption and veterinary centers. Established in 1877, MHS is
one of the oldest and largest animal welfare organizations in the
country. For more information, call MHS at (866) MHUMANE.