From:
Sara Gennusa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 20:58:37 -0400
Hey everybody,

Why is it that when we try to good it ends up slapping us in the face?
LOL! I recently lost my precious baby Oracle to an aggressive case of
Lymphoma. She was diagnosed at the end of March and was helped to the
bridge on April 21. I miss her terribly. However, a week or so before
she passed, my boyfriend found a 4-week old kitten next to a half-eaten
cat corpse at the end of the driveway. I think that dogs on my block
did away with his family. Anyways, whatever the case, I believe Oracle
called in reinforcements to support me in her passing.

We took the kitty straight to the vet, to ensure he didn't have any
obviously communicable illnesses before bringing him into the house.
He got an initial clean bill of health, but a week later a strange
fungal infection (systemic) showed up. We got him antibiotics, and I
didn't bother isolating him, because I figured myself, the other cat,
and the ferrets had all been exposed already. While he was getting
checked, the vet gave him a wormer. No one else got the weird smelly
fungus.

Now that the fungus is going away, I notice maggots on steroids
crawling through his feces. Does this adventure never end? The vet says
that they sound like tapeworm, which conveniently the wormer does not
take care of. I think my ferrets have it too, as there are maggots on
steroids in their box as well. I've read on th FHL that this shouldn't
hurt them, but i want to get everyone treated ASAP. THere are no
remaining fleas to my knowledge.

To my question. Has anyone ever treated their ferrets for tapeworm.
Were there side effects? I have one older ferret (5) and two 3 year
olds. I just don't want to hurt them. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Sara