From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:11:24 -0400
Mike,

What type of reaction did he have to Pred? Was it to Prednisone or
Prednisolone, and in which format?

Has Diazoxide been tried? Have a small amount of it compounded for a
trial. You can find a list of compounding pharmacies for your vet's
prescription in the Files section of the FHL (address in my signature
lines). Many ship.

We have had only a few ferrets with insulinoma in 26 years and have
also encountered lymphoma in the pancreas (which is harder to manage
and worsens faster but presents similarly) and carcinoma in the
pancreas which is the worst of those three that can look similar.
When we have been forced to resort to added dietary sugar (advanced
insulinoma, and all through pancreatic lymphoma) we've made sure to
that it is ALWAYS available. One trick that worked was to take two
forks and work those through Nutrical in water. Then let it sit a while
and remove the fat film because the ferrets object to that. Then make
that bowl available.

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
Recommended ferret health links: